Menu

Greyhound Bus Experiences???

Can anyone give me feedback about taking Greyhound for a 15 hour trip? I would like to take my 9yo and visit my parents, but the older kids will need a vehicle here for classes. I was thinking about taking the bus. The train route gets in late at night in a bad part of town. The bus schedule looks a lot better, and I can get a lot closer to my end destination. Any thoughts from the hive?

Gosh, I have not had good experiences with Greyhound. Maybe it depends on the part of the country you are traveling in? It looks like perhaps you are from MN. The route I've taken it on is a Midwestern route out of Chicago. It seemed to attract ... shall we say ... a rather sleezy mix?

In the Midwest you can also take Jefferson Lines and Mega Bus on various routes. We've had better luck with them.

Dh and I took Greyhound from East TN to East OK when we were in college, but that was so many years ago! Still, we were okay. No one bothered us. The trip was long, but it wasn't bad.

I've recently heard good things about a bus company called MegaBus. I'm not sure if the company is all over the country or not, but you might look into it.

I used to take the train out of Chicago, so I'm familiar with Union Station (and somewhat nervous of it as well). Is the problem with the buses actually on the trip or on the boarding and switching parts?

Megabus looked much cheaper, but didn't take me as close to my parents.

Thank you,

I haven't checked into renting a car. I honestly thought it sounded lovely to let someone else do all the driving. I'm leaning toward Amtrak now. I just don't like getting into Indy at midnight. They redid the station their as a lovely upscale shopping mall awhile back, but the trains don't actually go in there. At least they didn't last time I went there. Granted, it's been awhile.

How does the cost compare to renting a car?

:iagree:

Really may be worth it.

In college (early 90s) my husband rode Greyhound regularly to come visit. Door to door would be a 4 hour drive. Depending on Greyhound schedule, a very direct trip might be 5 hours but one with many stops could be up to 10. One stop was in front of the prison.

I read my husband the OP question... He just laughed.

Now... this was in CA and almost 2 decades ago.

OTOH, I've seen how plane travel has deteriorated. I can't imagine Greyhound has improved.

Hope you find a good solution.