Menu

When househunting, which do you prefer?

When viewing houses to rent or purchase, which do you prefer?  

1. 1. When viewing houses to rent or purchase, which do you prefer?

• empty
    • furnished (decluttered and clean as a whistle, of course)

I voted "furnished" -- but we also carry measuring devices with us when we look, and a notepad. I jot down room sizes, draw a sketch of the floor-plans, etc. Note things that "must" be fixed/changed.

This house will be furnished for selling. But still minimal furnishings (I'm going out to get some new bookcases this Friday...woot!). I keep talking about selling this new home, and getting excited about the prospect. What is wrong with me??? The only thing I'm not excited about is the unpacking/sorting/re-packing... blech.

• 3 months later...

Realtors generally say that furnished is better. But if I needed to empty a house, I'd want to make it look as good as a newly built one. With all the furniture and paintings gone, every little imperfection will be glaring. I'd refinish any wood floors that needed it and paint the rooms bright white. IOW I'd make it look like a newly built house. With it in that condition, I don't think the house would be at a disadvantage and it would definitely appeal to someone looking to move quickly. A lot of families looking now want to move before the new school year.

Update from OP? This is a 3 month old thread.

Well, we ended up boxing up the vast majority of the books and putting them in temporary storage. Then we staged the house. Those are the pictures for our listing. After that, I didn't want to leave, just add on a library. :tongue_smilie: We had no choice though. So, the house was beautifully staged for two months and is now empty because we moved.

Since we left, home prices are going down anywhere from 5-10% :glare:, so now we are just waiting out the end of our contract so we can rent it out. We refuse to lower our price and lose our equity in a bad market, especially since the rental market is strong. We do have a friend staying there and taking care of the place, so that is a relief to us. We've had some showings and if they want it for what we're willing to take, we will still sell it. We won't take a big hit though, so we'll see...