Menu

s/o Science through living books - fiction?

peacefully

I think you’ve hit on something that I’ve been pondering for some time. There just is nothing like a good fiction book to stimulate a thirst for studying the real thing.

I’d like to see fiction incorporated into science study the way fiction is incorporated into the history, SOTW style.

What I’ve sort of planned:

Ocean Science—20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

Geology-Journey to the Center of the Earth

Atmospheric-Around the World in 80 Days

Glaciers-Stikeen

Fire?—not sure yet

Space-not sure yet

Chemistry for third grade-no clue yet.

How does one go about searching for good, solid science fiction that is actually more science focused than relationship oriented? Biographies are all well and good, but they ARE NOT the same as a great piece of science fiction.

This is somewhat tangentially related, since comics aren't exactly "literature", but the other day I was thinking how to incoporate superheroes into science by looking at their "powers" more closely. (My son is constantly asking why certain superheroes can do cetain things.) You could group them by science "Rule Breakers" and "Rule Followers." For example, Superman has no actually mechanism for flight while Angel (from X-Men) does actually have wings (thanks to a hypothetical idea of genetic mutation). You could then study the mechanics of flight or genetic mutation. You have all kinds of interesting possibilites.

If your kids are into comics, they could read the comics with an eye to gathering data to understanding the superheroes' power, and then study the actual science of the situation. I think it could make a cool ongoing study or science fair project. I know my son would get a huge kick out of it. (He is still pretty young, but I totally plan on doing this when he is a little older.)

I just googled the idea and, not surprisingly, there are already some works based on this idea. Also, here and here. Now if someone would just put together a kids' science unit on the idea for me...

There are science curricula out there with the idea of using fiction as the launching point for experiments and further study. I found a few last night when I was searching for lists of science fiction indexed to their main science ideas. I found I got the best lists by searching for "hard" science fiction, which does seem to favor the science over a squishy plot that just happens to be facilitated by science.

I don't think I'd really want to use the fiction as a directed avenue for further study. Just as a companion. Even a child who might not favor science might get interested in the imaginative quality of the literature. I don't really think I'd want to force the issue, but just wait to see if it kindles and go from there.

We've enjoyed a lot of the books suggested here, and we're always up for more ideas as well. I'll be following this thread!

I will add that I get a lot of my ideas by looking at a book we love on Amazon and then looking at "what others look at or buy". I've found a large number of books that way. I just follow rabbit trails in amazon a lot.