Menu

Can you name this screwball comedy of the 60s?

It has been bothering me all day: an executive for either Coke or Pepsi is kidnapped because he is believed to be with the US government, and has crucial info. I think he was taken to East Germany. He is tortured by having She Wore An Itsy Bitsy, Teeny-Weeny, Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini played over and over.

In the end he is released and the last scene has him buying a cola, but it is the "wrong" kind (Pepsi, I think).

I know this is vague but I was less than 10 years old. I remember my mother gasping with laughter. Can you name it?

It has been bothering me all day: an executive for either Coke or Pepsi is kidnapped because he is believed to be with the US government, and has crucial info. I think he was taken to East Germany. He is tortured by having She Wore An Itsy Bitsy, Teeny-Weeny, Yellow Polka-Dot Bikini played over and over.

In the end he is released and the last scene has him buying a cola, but it is the "wrong" kind (Pepsi, I think).

I know this is vague but I was less than 10 years old. I remember my mother gasping with laughter. Can you name it?

Yes! I know the film. It was made before the Cold War went in a totally sacry Atomic direction. I can't think of the name of it. I can picture it eaxactly in my head. James Cagney. Oh dang! Grrrr.

This one is better because it doesn't have the other films too.

YES. I was hunting for Bob Hope. Cagney! I didn't think of him. I believe I saw it on the SS Franconia, a Cunard ship, while crossing to Le Harve. I would have been 4. I remember my mother just losing over the bikini. When she was nearly 90 I asked her what was so horrible about the song, and she said that when it was popular they played it non-stop until everyone wanted to rip their radio cords out of the wall.

YES. I was hunting for Bob Hope. Cagney! I didn't think of him. I believe I saw it on the SS Franconia, a Cunard ship, while crossing to Le Harve. I would have been 4. I remember my mother just losing over the bikini. When she was nearly 90 I asked her what was so horrible about the song, and she said that when it was popular they played it non-stop until everyone wanted to rip their radio cords out of the wall.

:lol::lol::lol: The original earworm. :D

(just fyi, you have the plot info wrong, but it is a Coke guy working in Germany) We have One, Two, Three on DVD and watch it every few months. It leaves me out of breath. (snap fingers!) Schlemmer!!!! (a repeating Cagney line) Absolutely WONDERFUL movie!!

Another fabulous movie that is fun to watch like that is Hopscotch with Walter Matthau. It's a 1980s film.

(just fyi, you have the plot info wrong, but it is a Coke guy working in Germany) We have One, Two, Three on DVD and watch it every few months. It leaves me out of breath. (snap fingers!) Schlemmer!!!! (a repeating Cagney line) Absolutely WONDERFUL movie!!

Another fabulous movie that is fun to watch like that is Hopscotch with Walter Matthau. It's a 1980s film.

Well, I was only 4 ... ;)

If you like these, do look for "A New Leaf". I think it is not out on DVD, which is a sin and shame.

I'm glad I'm subscribed to this thread so I won't forget these movie titles before I can watch them. I'm always up for a good comedy. Do you ladies have any other suggestions? I grew up in the 70's so I'm not as well versed with some of the 60's (and before) comedies as I am with the 70's and later ones. I'd loved to be educated on what I'm missing. :D Ya'll have a great night. :)

I'm glad I'm subscribed to this thread so I won't forget these movie titles before I can watch them. I'm always up for a good comedy. Do you ladies have any other suggestions? I grew up in the 70's so I'm not as well versed with some of the 60's (and before) comedies as I am with the 70's and later ones. I'd loved to be educated on what I'm missing. :D Ya'll have a great night. :)

The movie The Odd Couple, the original, British The Lady Killers, Genevieve (also British), The Front (Woody Allen acts in it, but it wasn't "his" movie), Dr. Strangelove, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

The movie The Odd Couple, the original, British The Lady Killers, Genevieve (also British), The Front (Woody Allen acts in it, but it wasn't "his" movie), Dr. Strangelove, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.

Thank you so much! :) I only have seen one on your list! Yay! I look forward to watching the others. I've only seen the American version of The Odd Couple I cannot even imagine how funny the British one must be. :) Thanks hon. :grouphug:

Thank you so much! :) I only have seen one on your list! Yay! I look forward to watching the others. I've only seen the American version of The Odd Couple I cannot even imagine how funny the British one must be. :) Thanks hon. :grouphug:

No, the Odd Couple is USian, but is the movie, not the TV show. The Lady Killers is British, with Peter Sellers and Alec Guiness.