Menu

telling time? money?

MeganW

What's your best suggestion for an 8.5 year old 2nd grader who is REALLY struggling with telling time? Same question re: money.

Math Mammoth? DVD suggestions? Other ideas?

Is this an indicator of other issues? (Conceptual basics that were missed?) May I ask you to list exactly what those would be? Skip counting by 5s? What else?

Do you have base 10 blocks?

You can see an example at my blog. Scroll down and you'll see how we built a clock out of the blocks. This is what FINALLY helped my son "get" it. Math U See teaches it this way. They use five-blocks to build the clock (minutes) and the blocks on the outside are the hours. Worked amazingly well for my very hands-on visual son.

http://daisyhomeschoolblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/week-in-review-121911-122211.html

Time is tough for a lot of kids because they just don't need to know it until they are older. It isn't relevant to their lives yet.

My kids picked up money much faster because I had them count out their money for church, for shopping, etc. We played store. When I taught counting and skip counting, I used pennies, nickels, and dimes from the very beginning so they associated the two together.

Skip the educational resources.

Ask the child to remind you that it's playtime at 10:00 am. Show him how the hour hand points to the 10 and the minute hand points to the 12. Hang a little clock face illustrating 10:00 on the clock right next to your real clock.

When he knows how to recognize 10:00, ask him to remind you to get lunch at 12:00, go somewhere at 2:00....etc, all on the hour. When he's got that down pat, change it up to 10:30, 12:30, etc...

Once my ds got to that point, the rest was easy. THEN we talk about counting by 5's, finding the exact minutes. This is still better done while you are in a waiting room, grocery store line, in the car, ANYWHERE but the school table.

Money - One simple game: "WIN MOMMY'S MONEY" :D

I hold up a coin, if you can tell me the name of the coin, it's yours. If you can't, it's mine (after I remind you what it is).

When the names are down cold, he has to tell the name and how much it's worth.

When names and values are down cold, lay down 2-5 coins for adding together.

By the time he has adding down cold, you'll be broke.:tongue_smilie: (But he will KNOW money.:lol:)

You can see an example at my blog. Scroll down and you'll see how we built a clock out of the blocks. This is what FINALLY helped my son "get" it. Math U See teaches it this way. They use five-blocks to build the clock (minutes) and the blocks on the outside are the hours. Worked amazingly well for my very hands-on visual son.

http://daisyhomeschoolblog.blogspot.com/2011/12/week-in-review-121911-122211.html

Time is tough for a lot of kids because they just don't need to know it until they are older. It isn't relevant to their lives yet.

My kids picked up money much faster because I had them count out their money for church, for shopping, etc. We played store. When I taught counting and skip counting, I used pennies, nickels, and dimes from the very beginning so they associated the two together.

Well, I'll eat my words...the blocks on the clockface is a wonderful idea. I'm going to do that with cuisenaire rods with my little guy.

Well, I'll eat my words...the blocks on the clockface is a wonderful idea. I'm going to do that with cuisenaire rods with my little guy.

LOL. Well, I agree with your post also, but when it still wasn't sticking with my son, the blocks helped. :D

So, you may think this is crazy, but my kids love it and it works. Have a bunch of coins in a cup in your kitchen. When your child wants to eat or drink something, say "okay, that will be 45 cents (or whatever)". My kids love this. I make them "pay" for milk or dessert or whatever comes to mind. I don't do it every day, but I try. We are also playing the game Money Bags, which is awesome for money.

As far as time, every time we leave the house, I will ask them to tell me what time it is. Every day at calendar time they have their little Judy clocks and they set the hands to the correct time and show me. I also never answer the question "what time is it?" I answer it with a ? "well what time is it?". Of course, I help them through it if they are struggling.

Love this idea! Is just building it enough? Or does MUS have them making hands and moving them and so on?

OP, I would highly recommend getting the Right Start Card Games set. With all your kids, you'll definitely get your money's worth. It covers up through 4th or 5th grade math and has lots of great games for time and money.

ETA: While Right Start doesn't require the games set until level C, I find it super-helpful to have right from the start.

http://daisyhomeschoolblog.blogspot....11-122211.html

Another THANK YOU for the great idea!