Menu

Those of you who homeschool/work...& consider yourselves good time managers....

I'm currently homeschooling 'lite' with my 4 year old. Baby girl is shredding paper and dirtying diapers. I want to ask a question of those of you who both homeschool and work part-time (or do heavy-duty volunteer work outside the home)--and consider yourselves good time managers. I want some pointers on this.

I'm probably already a decent time manager, but I'm always looking for ways to improve. Lately I've been thinking I'm not, but that may be a 'season of life' thing (there is little efficiency with a 1 year old tornado in the house). Still, I always feel like I want to get inspiration and wisdom from those who have BTDT!

I'm an attorney, not currently practicing. I anticipate homeschooling indefinitely, but we'll see. I used to practice part-time, from home, on a contract basis. I really think I'd like to do that again once the children are older! It might (?) dovetail nicely with homeschooling!

I also want to find some way to volunteer in a hands-on, meaningful way with children in foster care, I think. I have been doing some reading about the foster care system and would appreciate trying to help make an impact on children who are marginalized. (I've entertained the thought of fostering myself, but I'm not sure DH would be totally onboard, and we are a TEAM!)

None of this can happen *NOW*, but perhaps after my little girl is about 5. But I do like thinking, dreaming, envisioning, and planning, and right now I think the more I can streamline and manage my time very very well, the easier it will be later to add more to my plate.

Also--I like to exercise regularly, I cook dinner (we have weird diets--kind of gluten-free vegan-ish, and we can't really eat out much)--so that definitely takes a HUNK of time every day, and I like a clean house. Clean-*ish* with baby hurricane here. She's one busy girl!! :001_smile:

I just want to hone my time management skills, I suppose, to the extent I can at this stage of life!

Thank you.

It sounds like you're preparing well for the upcoming Juggle. Adding Child #2 is probably already causing you to see there is always a lot to do. :001_smile:

One avenue is training your children to help you with the kitchen dish duty, and other household tasks within their ability.

Developing a healthy relationship with your kids (so that they are eager to please you, help others, want to spend time with their siblings) can lay a foundation where your family life is not filled with daily time wasting.

Hopefully others will chime in with encouragement. These years when the kids are little can be quite a challenge, but also very rewarding!

I work part-time and homeschool. It's doable and worth it for a lot of reasons but it is hard.

A few thoughts:

*I've realized that I can't do it all. This both means that I have had to accept that some things are going to be done less perfectly than my ideal and that I have had to give up control of some things. I'm a person who likes to be in control, so that's not always easy.

*I've realized that I can't do it all. I've had to figure out what areas to ask for help in and ask for it. For me this meant getting a cleaning service, which at first I felt guilty about for whatever reason, and now I'm incredibly grateful for.

*I've realized that I can't do it all. My husband stays home while I work and while I don't think our situation is the only way to do it I think it would be incredibly difficult to work and homeschool without a husband who was very involved and supportive of both.

I don't normally link to my blog but I wrote a long post about this last fall that has more thoughts if you are interested...http://supratentorial.wordpress.com/2011/10/04/working-and-homeschooling/

The biggest thing that helped me, was setting up a daily routine or rythm with my kids. The kids expect to have some schoolwork in the morning, then an hour or so of playing without my direct oversight (allowing me to work) then lunch and some more reading, then late in the afternoon some educational tv or games together (allowing me to work a little more). Also cooking bigger meals for Sunday dinners so that we can pull out leftovers in a pinch during the week in case I get behind and run out of time for dinner, which happens more often than I like to admit.

And I agree with PPs, my expectations are lowered in regards to housework. The kids help pick up toys at the end of the day, DH helps with dishes most evenings, but deep cleanings are reserved for weekends or before guests come over. ;)

Right now I'm only truly homeschooling one child, a fifth grader. My 18 yo high school senior is "homeschooled" but I no longer teach him anything. This year, I've been involved more as a coach and college application assistant. But anyway. I also have a 17 yo exchange student at one public school, and my own ninth grader at another. So, it's logistically challenging, there's a huge amount of driving. And I work half time, on weekends, at night.

I also have only boys, so I don't get the kind of automatic recognition of what needs to be done that mothers of helpful daughters might expect of girls this age. My boys are very good to help out when asked, but they pretty much have to be asked.

Listen to Wendy and teach your children good habits from the start-putting things away, daily routines, etc. Don't sweat the cleaning. Don't worry too much about academics at this age. But plan academic ahead, and build good habits in your kids. Teach them to listen to you-really-or you'll have to take time out to deal with this later, when it's harder. Prioritize this, your sanity, routines. Find out how much you can expect from your partner. Some, like mine, are supportive as long as they don't actually have to do anything. :glare:

I work from home for our family business, and we host international students in the home, and I also have a day care boy, so busy here. Specifically, for homeschooling, I find it a great time saver to have all the books we will use in one place, and teach in chunks of time. For example, we have a morning session, where we do history together (all ages.) I have all the books in the front room in a basket. I sit in my big comfy chair, and we do our morning school routine, which includes memory work drills and history read alouds. After this chunk, we break and I do my "work." I'm responsible for quotes for our business, so I check my e-mail and do my quotes or correspondence. Then I eat lunch at my computer and do more work. The kids fend for themselves at lunch. Then, we do more chunk school in the afternoon. I have all my books at the table and I work with my 2nd grader and my 3rd grader. Sometimes I work with each of them individually, and sometimes I sit them beside each other and toggle between them, depending on how much time I have. Late afternoon is for clean-up and meal prep. Once in a while I have to work in the evenings or on the weekends. I do laundry usually on Thurs, Fri, and Sat. Fridays are light school days, and we usually have a friend over with other kids, so they can all play and I can visit with my friend. I hope that helps you some.