Menu

Help!...How do you treat a cold sore?

The second I feel itching/tingling on my lip and a small bump I put Anbesol (comes in little tube) on it. I think it is cheaper than Abreva so probably why I picked it but it works very well. Two to three times a day and I have managed to avoid huge gross cold sores.

My dd gets them, badly. Scabby bad. Best thing that happened to us was getting a doctor at the family clinic who gets them. He gave us some good advice

They appear, especially, with any lip trauma. If lips are chapped, etc.. Sun exposure, cold exposure, wind exposure...all make dd's cold sores break out. We use plain old chapstick...a lot.. I know it's got it's issues, but it's the only thing I've found that doesn't burn dd's lips when really chapped. I also have her use a lip balm with SPF, when she will be outside.

He also gave us a prescription that works beautifully. Denavir. I can see an early bump (so past what people usually say for early intervention) and put this stuff on her lip and it interrupts the cycle. Then I have her keep her lips coated in chapstick to keep it from spreading.

Edited by snickelfritz

Abreva works wonders, but really only if you start using it as soon as possible. Like when you feel that tingle and think, "oh no! Is a cold sore coming on?" It will stop it in it's tracks. But I waited another day last time and it progressed to the bump stage and it seemed to shorten the duration and keep it from spreading, but didn't prevent it completely.