Menu

AAS vs AAR for K

Mommie_Jen

:confused: I was totally planning on buying AAR1 for DS to start. But it appears some people use AAS to teach reading instead. I'm a bit confused. Is there an advantage to doing it that way? Someone explain please?

And, another reading question. I was under the impression that most sight words can actually be taught phonetically. So I wasn't planning on teaching sight words from the Dolch list. Thoughts?

I you used AAS and moved at the pace needed to master spelling, it could be a bit slow for reading. Now some do use it for reading but actually have two places marked in the book, one for where the child is for reading and one is where the child is for spelling.

I have used AAS for a few years with my olders for spelling, but am very glad I bought AAR to use to teach my youngest to read. It's an excellent program, we love how it's laid out and presented. It's also very fun.

My dd who is in K this year is about 2/3 through with OPG to teaching reading, and reads very well. We have done little to no spelling because she's only in K, and was much more interested in reading than in writing. Next year, of course, we'll begin spelling as suggested in WTM. Where would I start in AAS? She does not care for writing, and I am thinking, as I understand it, AAS's use of tiles might help her. Thoughts?

It is almost always recommended to start with AAS level 1, and this certainly would be the case for a first grader.

My dd who is in K this year is about 2/3 through with OPG to teaching reading, and reads very well. We have done little to no spelling because she's only in K, and was much more interested in reading than in writing. Next year, of course, we'll begin spelling as suggested in WTM. Where would I start in AAS? She does not care for writing, and I am thinking, as I understand it, AAS's use of tiles might help her. Thoughts?

Level 1, things may move quickly in the beginning but I would definitely start in Level 1 especially if she is not a big writer. In Level 2 they are writing the words and then dictation phrases and sentences (about 6 of each per step) but in Level 1 they don't do the dictation right away, that's added after they are used to spelling words for a while.

What about if they have already been taught to read cvc words and some blends but are reading way more on their own? Is AAS on its own okay? I looked at AAR but we would be starting at like lesson 18 and flying through it. Also when is AAR Level 2 being released? My dh did not want me to get both. Thoughts?

Some people began using AAS as a reading program before AAR was available.

This is us. AAR 1 wasn't available when I found AAS. Now that it is he's more at an AAR level 2 and it isn't ready yet. I thought I had decided not use AAS/R because of 2 not being ready. After some other frustrations, I decided to go ahead with AAS even if AAR 2 wasn't ready. We're now going through AAS 1 very quickly for review. We'll start AAS 2 next week with the added readers.

If you have a choice, I'd do both as they are scheduled.

What about if they have already been taught to read cvc words and some blends but are reading way more on their own? Is AAS on its own okay? I looked at AAR but we would be starting at like lesson 18 and flying through it. Also when is AAR Level 2 being released? My dh did not want me to get both. Thoughts?

If AAR is out of your $ range, I'd start with AAS 1 and add the reader Cobweb the Cat.

Hmmm... you're right that the beginning of AAR starts with CVC words, but it does get more advanced with words like: bullfrog, song, glasses, check, wing, etc. by the end.

I'm not sure when AAR 2 is scheduled to be out...

I'm really enjoying AAR with my 5 year old, but she's really at the beginning stages and it's perfect for her.

Maybe AAS would be better for you?

I you used AAS and moved at the pace needed to master spelling, it could be a bit slow for reading. Now some do use it for reading but actually have two places marked in the book, one for where the child is for reading and one is where the child is for spelling.

Yes, this is exactly how we have done it. We LOVE AAS, and it is working well for us for both reading and spelling. We started with it early last summer (DS could not read much at all other than the simplest CVC words when we began), and now just about eight months later we are now nearing the end of Level 5 for reading, and he is doing GREAT (he has already read about 20 of the Boxcar Children chapter book series on his own, with great comprehension and enthusiasm). We are in Level 3 for spelling, and he is doing great in that as well.

That being said - he is just one child and seems to me to be strong in language arts in general. So YMMV. Who knows how my DD will do with it, but I hope it works as well for her. I'll consider getting AAR if she struggles with AAS, but I'm hoping I won't have to spend the money.