Menu

Groundhog Day - Candlemass - Presentation Day

A few years ago I blogging friend of mine (and former homeschooling dad) did a 4 part series about how Groundhog day, Candlemas and Presentation of the Lord all ended up on the same day. I thought some people here might enjoy a little history lesson on church calendars:

Pt. 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

They're all relatively short blog entries so don't worry - you won't be reading a book! :D

And I guess we could say Candlemas and Presentation are the same Feast it's just that the West and East call it two different things.

I just learned today that The Presentation of Christ in the Temple = Candlemas (and why --> the "light to lighten the Gentiles"). I've seen things like Candelmas and Michaelmas in Jane Austen type books, and never knew what they were. Now I know! :001_smile:

A few years ago I blogging friend of mine (and former homeschooling dad) did a 4 part series about how Groundhog day, Candlemas and Presentation of the Lord all ended up on the same day. I thought some people here might enjoy a little history lesson on church calendars:

Pt. 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

They're all relatively short blog entries so don't worry - you won't be reading a book! :D

And I guess we could say Candlemas and Presentation are the same Feast it's just that the West and East call it two different things.

Happy Candlemas!

Are you saying that Catholics don't use one of the names?

Catholics traditionally have called it the Feast of the Purification, or Candlemas as an informal name.

Or St. Bill Murray of the Perpetual Time Loop.

LOL - I love that movie.

I have a question since you're Catholic. In the EO church we have a churching for moms and their newborn babies. Traditionally it is done at the 40th day. It's not for purification, but there are prayers for the mom and baby, the song of St. Simeon is sung, the baby is brought into the church and they are both welcomed back into the church family. I've read a bit about it's history and know that it was phased out in the early 20th century for Anglicans/Episcopalians. But I'm wondering if the Catholic church still has this tradition?

I just learned today that The Presentation of Christ in the Temple = Candlemas (and why --> the "light to lighten the Gentiles"). I've seen things like Candelmas and Michaelmas in Jane Austen type books, and never knew what they were. Now I know! :001_smile:

Yes! I'm finding more and more of those types of references in older books. In one of the Kristen Lavransdatter books she talks about the wedding crowns/wreaths (or bans)...and I finally knew what that meant!