Menu

Buying used books through Amazon marketplace

Why do so many sellers not include desciptions of the books? I get there might not be a lot of room but it's a bit helpful to see something rather than nothing. I totally skip any listing that has no description at all. Do you take the time to email the seller and ask specific questions? I've done that with books I'm ready to buy and even then I've gotten a few that weren't really the way the seller described.

Why do so many sellers not include desciptions of the books? I get there might not be a lot of room but it's a bit helpful to see something rather than nothing. I totally skip any listing that has no description at all. Do you take the time to email the seller and ask specific questions? I've done that with books I'm ready to buy and even then I've gotten a few that weren't really the way the seller described.

I think you see no descriptions from the big sellers who list thousands of books - they probably don't want to take the time to make notes on each particular book. I don't typically buy from someone who won't list any details.

I don't take the time to e-mail, but most of what I buy there are several options. I generally like some description of the book, yet some sellers have thousands + in inventory so they might not describe each book personally.

I read a lot of seller feedback. Usually I try to find one where multiple people state the book arrived in stated condition. I usually try to pick cheaper copies, because I'm broke. Sometimes it feels like gambling because I want cheap and in good or better condition. I avoid any sellers that list as very good then comment the book has writing in it. That doesn't meet Amazon's criteria for very good.

I've had pretty good success lately.

I think you see no descriptions from the big sellers who list thousands of books - they probably don't want to take the time to make notes on each particular book. I don't typically buy from someone who won't list any details.

:iagree: