Menu

Looking for things to do in and around Beaumont, TX

There is a Babe Zaharias museum in Beaumont. I haven't been there in years, but my younger sister set an alarm off there when she touched the glass of a display window when she was about the age of your dd.

The area was hard hit by Hurricane Rita, which has changed the dynamics there a lot.

There are several museums. 3 house museums, one built in 1845 and 2 in 1906. There's Gladys City, a reproduction of early Beaumont at the time of the oil boom. A fire museum, Edison museum, Energy museum (oil industry), SETX Art Museum, an art museum at Lamar University. There are more museums in other towns within easy driving distance. There's Shangri-La Botanical Gardens in Orange - gorgeous. There's Gator Country, where you can feed the gators and have dinner.

http://www.beaumontcvb.com/visitors/things-to-do/museums-and-attractions/

Houston is about 1.5 hours away. The zoo there is wonderful, as is the children's museum. (oops, just re-read that you are familiar with Houston)

The Big Thicket is just north of Beaumont - hiking, guided nature walks, that sort of thing. Good fishing and hunting nearby, also.

Galveston has an amazing aquarium.

That's off the top of my head. Any specific questions? :)

There are some great things in Beaumont and environs, including the Spindletop-Gladys City Boomtown Museum, the McFaddin-Ward and John Jay French homes, Shangri-La Botanic Gardens (in Orange), and the Art Museum of Southeast Texas. There are a number of regional festivals and cultural events throughout the year, as well.

I can't speak to activities especially for little people, but perhaps others will chime in. :001_smile:

You are about a 45 to an hour drive from the Kemah Boardwalk, Galveston (beach, schlitterbahn water park, moody gardens), Space Center Houston and various other things to do in Houston. I'm on vacation and short on time but if you pm me I can get you more information when I get back home. I live in Houston.