Menu

Classic Art Books for Preschool

4Kiddos

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for books of classic art that are basically just pictures with perhaps some but not much explanation of the classic artwork. I am looking for books that are sweet and modest that I can expose my little ones to lovely old art. I am more interested in classic artwork as opposed to modern. Thank you!

My post Little-Kid Concept Books That Use Fine Art; Lucy Micklethwiat Bibliography might have some suggestions. (I second the Child's Book of Art recommended above, as well a Child's Book of Play in Art and a Child's Book of Prayer in Art). Since I did the post above I've also discovered the Prestel USA "13 _____ Children Should Know" series and I want to collect them all!

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for, but are you aware of the 'Katie' books? They are picture books, with a story about major art works.

http://www.amazon.com/Katies-Picture-Show-James-Mayhew/dp/1843623978/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1328086586&sr=8-12

Katie's Picture Show is based on paintings in the National Gallery in London and there are lots of other books in the series.

Emma x

Can You Find It? and the sequel are wonderful for young kids, as is the similar Can You Hear It? - This comes with a cd of classical music clips that correspond to the paintings.

Our library has a wonderful board book with pictures of the Tudors and other paintings and a small story that follows it. I'll have to go today to find out what it was.

ETA: Found it! Find King Henry's Treasure

Edited by Lily_Grace

I found this Come Look With Me book at our library and my girls loved it. It has the art on one side and some slight info and questions for prompting. It was perfect for my 5 and 3 year old.

And the best part is there are quite a few in the series- one on animals, people at play, women artists, early america, modern art, African art, Latin american art....

Check out Child Sized Masterpieces:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=child+sized+masterpices (they have the first 3 levels)

http://www.montessoriservices.com/art/art-appreciation (they have all 8 levels)

They are a bit pricey, but are well worth it. They work on skills like sorting and matching and range from easy to advance levels. You can purchase a book that gives you even more ideas for activities, but I found that it was pretty easy to come up with our own. They are postcard size reproductions of a wide range of art. Since they were a bit expensive I decided to laminate them, so I can make sure they stand the test of time :)