Menu

In MD? Human Trafficking Awareness Event.

I was a 15 yo exchange student in the south of France in 1991. It was Bastille day so the streets were teeming with people and law enforcement was out. Our chaperones had divided us into mixed gender/age groups and told us to stay together. We established meet-up times and so on.

Some of the older girls decided to wear skimpy minidresses so the boys in our group decided it was best to stay with them and guard against unwanted attention. Meanwhile, the youngest on the trip, myself and three pimply and naive friends, were left to explore on our own (checking in with our chaperone periodically). We figured we'd be fine! Who'd be interested in us anyway!? We weren't even remotely cute! :glare:

Still, a group of men began following my little crew everywhere shortly after we split up, at one point grabbing the arm of my friend and trying to walk off with her-- even as we stood next to our chaperone trying to explain what was happening to us. We spent half the night trying to shake these stalkers off and the other half sitting next to some French police officers as a deterrent. It was terrifying and eye-opening for all of us and changed my view of the world forever.

My children will never, ever travel internationally without either myself or my husband being present and as the kids get older (just like with pedophiles and good/bad touch) we will explicitly discuss human trafficking. The suburbs these days are fertile ground for those who would prey on innocence. Ignorance is not bliss.

Thank you for sharing this event and helping raise awareness. Were I not on the other side of the country, I would totally go!

Edited by Sneezyone

I was a 15 yo exchange student in the south of France in 1991. It was Bastille day so the streets were teeming with people and law enforcement was out. Our chaperones had divided us into mixed gender/age groups and told us to stay together. We established meet-up times and so on.

Some of the older girls decided to wear skimpy minidresses so the boys in our group decided it was best to stay with them and guard against unwanted attention. Meanwhile, the youngest on the trip, myself and three pimply and naive friends, were left to explore on our own (checking in with our chaperone periodically). We figured we'd be fine! Who'd be interested in us anyway!? We weren't even remotely cute! :glare:

Still, a group of men began following my little crew everywhere shortly after we split up, at one point grabbing the arm of my friend and trying to walk off with her-- even as we stood next to our chaperone trying to explain what was happening to us. We spent half the night trying to shake these stalkers off and the other half sitting next to some French police officers as a deterrent. It was terrifying and eye-opening for all of us and changed my view of the world forever.

My children will never, ever travel internationally without either myself or my husband being present and as the kids get older (just like with pedophiles and good/bad touch) we will explicitly discuss human trafficking. The suburbs these days are fertile ground for those who would prey on innocence. Ignorance is not bliss.

Thank you for sharing this event and helping raise awareness. Were I not on the other side of the country, I would totally go!

Oh, I am so sorry for your experience and so glad that you made it out. As you know, many girls don't. Thank you for sharing your story!!!

I didn't share that with my husband until we saw Taken together. I didn't know what the movie was about going in but was so shaken by what I saw on screen, what could have happened, that I spent half the movie hiding my face in his armpit. I couldn't look. Obviously, it's still triggering for me.:grouphug:

I didn't share that with my husband until we saw Taken together. I didn't know what the movie was about going in but was so shaken by what I saw on screen, what could have happened, that I spent half the movie hiding my face in his armpit. I couldn't look. Obviously, it's still triggering for me.:grouphug:

Oh, :grouphug: I'm going to PM you later this evening after the kids have gone to bed.