Menu

Spectrum Chemistry independently at home OR Apologia Chemistry outsourced?

I'm thinking way far ahead, but would like some feedback about chemistry in 10th. This is what dd has done and what we're planning:

• 8th grade (This year): CPO Foundations of Physical Science
  • 9th grade (Next year): Conceptual Physics
  • 10th grade: Spectrum or Apologia Chemistry?????

I want to follow the physics-first approach to science. This dd doen't think she wants to go into a science career, but she loves science. She will finish Alg. I this year in 8th grade. We're planning geometry for 9th.

I see us either using Spectrum chemistry at home or Apologia Chemistry/Lab at a local home-school covering school. Would you all please compare/contrast these chemistry programs for me?

The biggest difference I see is that Spectrum would be done independently, but Apologia would be taught by a chemistry teacher. Dd seems to want to be taught so that she can ask a REAL person questions, but I think she would *enjoy* more and learn as much with Spectrum.

Can anyone help me compare Spectrum Chemistry to Apologia Chemistry?

Thanks!

Well, can't exactly compare, as Dd is using Spectrum independently. It is an honors course. It is thorough with complete labs. I think one needs to be very motivated to learn the material. It is strictly information learned from a book. The labs so far have been great. I believe it is an excellent beginning before tackling AP Chem...

If your DC likes information presented first, then maybe a KHAN lecture would suffice.

HTH

I cannot help you with the comparison. However I'll add my .02 in hopes that some of it is useful. My dd does not truly enjoy science. She is just finishing up Apologia's Biology. She did extremely well with it but it was less than inspiring.

We are switching to Spectrum. I wanted the labs. She can regurgitate information perfectly, but I really wanted to see her DO science. Beyond that, I knew if I code a khan heavy curriculum, her younger brother would perform the labs with her and she would get much more from the course.

I personally feel Apologia is a little dry and unmotivating. That's acceptable but not enjoyable. I'm hoping she'll find Spectrum truly enjoyable!

Well, can't exactly compare, as Dd is using Spectrum independently. It is an honors course. It is thorough with complete labs. I think one needs to be very motivated to learn the material. It is strictly information learned from a book. The labs so far have been great. I believe it is an excellent beginning before tackling AP Chem...

If your DC likes information presented first, then maybe a KHAN lecture would suffice.

HTH

I cannot help you with the comparison. However I'll add my .02 in hopes that some of it is useful. My dd does not truly enjoy science. She is just finishing up Apologia's Biology. She did extremely well with it but it was less than inspiring.

We are switching to Spectrum. I wanted the labs. She can regurgitate information perfectly, but I really wanted to see her DO science. Beyond that, I knew if I code a khan heavy curriculum, her younger brother would perform the labs with her and she would get much more from the course.

I personally feel Apologia is a little dry and unmotivating. That's acceptable but not enjoyable. I'm hoping she'll find Spectrum truly enjoyable!

Thank you both for responding. I fell the same as you that Spectrum seems like it would be academically sound PLUS enjoyable. I would just hope, if we go with Spectrum, that dd would be able to read and understand it independently. She seems to want a teacher... this is Spectrum's disadvantage for us.

We are using our homeschool's covering school for a Comp I English course this year in 8th, and it has been wonderful! I don't know what kind of teacher the Apologia Chemistry teacher is or if dd would like it.

Anyone else???:bigear:

Well, a good teacher can make a huge difference. My son started out the year using Apologia independently (except for the labs done at the local college). It was very boring for him and he wasn't getting much out of it. A couple of weeks ago I enrolled him in an outside class that meets twice a week, uses the same book, but has a great teacher who really understands and loves chemistry. Guess who actually likes Chemistry now? :D

There has been a few occasions where Dd has had to view the teaching company chemistry lectures. She says that some of the material is difficult to understand, but that doesn't happen too often. It's probably a good idea to have either KHAN academy, or TC chem dvd's as back up. The Spectrum also offers telephone/email advice to those stuck on a concept/problem. We haven't had to do this yet.

Dd is extremely motivated. Not sure every kid could do this without support. My role for her is to correct her quizzes/exams, and to generate the understanding of science through labs, and oral reasoning. I don't sit with her as she does the work. It's pretty hands-off for me.

By the way, the labs are awesome!

There has been a few occasions where Dd has had to view the teaching company chemistry lectures. She says that some of the material is difficult to understand, but that doesn't happen too often. It's probably a good idea to have either KHAN academy, or TC chem dvd's as back up. The Spectrum also offers telephone/email advice to those stuck on a concept/problem. We haven't had to do this yet.

Dd is extremely motivated. Not sure every kid could do this without support. My role for her is to correct her quizzes/exams, and to generate the understanding of science through labs, and oral reasoning. I don't sit with her as she does the work. It's pretty hands-off for me.

By the way, the labs are awesome!

Does Spectrum have the short parent teaching notes in a parent book, like Rainbow did? Those always helped me see the focus of the lesson & check understanding.

Julie

Having used both, Apologia was sold yrs ago and won't be coming back into our homeschool. We do not personally like Wiles teaching style.

Ds used Spectrum last yr. I was skeptical that it was enough b/c the book is slim and the weekly readings are very, very short. The labs were spectacular!

In Jan of last yr I made the decision to add in Plato's Chemistry (through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op). Even starting Plato in Jan, ds was easily able to finish it along w/Spectrum in May w/o it taking more time than if he had been using a huge regular textbook. (I have only ever thought of Plato's sciences as supplemental and not stand alone.)

How well did they prepare him? He has an incredibly high A in PAH's AP Chem class, so I am assuming they prepared him well. I asked him about both. He said that they actually complemented each other well and that the stoichiometry was covered more in one and other topics covered more in the other.

I had thought w/my less science oriented kids I might need to go a different route, but I no longer doubt the strength of what he did. He had a very easy transition into AP chem.

Thank you, 8. I just viewed sample Plato videos, and they are interesting. I'm just curious, however, why Plato might be better than Khan Academy (for example). I couldn't view a chemistry sample from Plato... I watched the volcano samples.

Having used both, Apologia was sold yrs ago and won't be coming back into our homeschool. We do not personally like Wiles teaching style.

Ds used Spectrum last yr. I was skeptical that it was enough b/c the book is slim and the weekly readings are very, very short. The labs were spectacular!

In Jan of last yr I made the decision to add in Plato's Chemistry (through Homeschool Buyer's Co-op). Even starting Plato in Jan, ds was easily able to finish it along w/Spectrum in May w/o it taking more time than if he had been using a huge regular textbook. (I have only ever thought of Plato's sciences as supplemental and not stand alone.)

How well did they prepare him? He has an incredibly high A in PAH's AP Chem class, so I am assuming they prepared him well. I asked him about both. He said that they actually complemented each other well and that the stoichiometry was covered more in one and other topics covered more in the other.

I had thought w/my less science oriented kids I might need to go a different route, but I no longer doubt the strength of what he did. He had a very easy transition into AP chem.

If you want Spectrum and you'd like it to come from a teacher, you could go with Landry Academy. That's the text they use. I don't have to make this decision for a couple more years but that's what I'm considering. We're having the same dilemma. Our co-op uses Apologia for everything. I am thinking about Shepherd Bio and Spectrum Chem and Landry uses both of these. My daughter thinks she wants to pursue a science career :001_huh: and we're not crazy about Apologia but we need a good teacher.

ETA: Your dd could even do one of their lab intensive weekends.

Carolyn

Edited by samba

If you want Spectrum and you'd like it to come from a teacher, you could go with Landry Academy. That's the text they use. I don't have to make this decision for a couple more years but that's what I'm considering. We're having the same dilemma. Our co-op uses Apologia for everything. I am thinking about Shepherd Bio and Spectrum Chem and Landry uses both of these. My daughter thinks she wants to pursue a science career :001_huh: and we're not crazy about Apologia but we need a good teacher.

ETA: Your dd could even do one of their lab intensive weekends.

Carolyn

What a wonderful idea! Thanks for the heads-up! I know Landry is expensive... but I will certainly keep this in mind!:001_smile:

Thank you, 8. I just viewed sample Plato videos, and they are interesting. I'm just curious, however, why Plato might be better than Khan Academy (for example). I couldn't view a chemistry sample from Plato... I watched the volcano samples.

I have never used Khan, so I can't compare. Plato includes lectures, tests, video experiments, etc and it automatically grades and progresses the student.