Menu

Is WWE/WWS enough for teaching writing?

melissel

I thought that was the idea, that WWE/WWS/WWStyle would be a complete writing curriculum, but I keep seeing people adding in or asking about adding IEW or Writing Strands or other expository writing-type programs when they're already using the WWx programs too. Is there a need to add something else, particularly for a kid to whom writing comes fairly naturally?

TIA!

I added to WWE for a few reasons. One, we like variety. :) And my son does like writing stories, and WS uses some creative exercises. We did some CW Aesop as well, for longer exercises and practice writing several paragraphs at a time. My son found it tedious to only write narrations week after week, so using other things helped make things more interesting.

Now that we're doing WWS, I don't feel like anything else is needed. I don't think it was needed for WWE, either, but we enjoyed the variety.

We're just using WWE as intended right now, using it across the curriculum (narrations in history and science) and a bit of notebooking (WTM recommends this). We'll dabble in MCT Island's writing next year and possibly some Killgallon in the next year or two, but those aren't necessary. I think WWE/WWS are complete. My son isn't going back to school anytime soon, so he doesn't need to be able to write multiple paragraphs and such at his young age. WWE narrations basically are paragraphs, so teaching the rest of paragraph structure is easy peasy (indent first line, paragraph should be about one topic).

WWE/WWS will continue to be our main writing program. Anything else we add is mostly for fun, not because I think they're lacking anything.

Thanks for this thread. I've been wondering the same thing. I needn't worry, though, as in our case our grammar program is PLL, which is also subtly teaching writing. He learns letter writing and composition too. Next year ds is doing ILL and Galore Park Junior English Book 2, so I know he'll do plenty of writing through that one.

In other words, I think WWE is fine in conjunction with a grammar program and lots of reading and listening, and I notice that my ds is picking up great language skills when he's writing a free story (using writing prompts) on Fridays.

Edited by sagira

I think they are enough when used at the grade levels recommended. I have some DC that are using one or the other off the grade level and also using other programs that include writing. I also use different programs to approach writing from different views when it benefits that particular child.

I could be wrong, but my impression is that some parents buy more than one writing program because they so badly want their dc to be good writers and they've heard good things about this curriculum and that. There seems to be a tendency to think that no program covers all the bases when it comes to teaching the subject, so we need to put more than one together to get the job done. But like other responders here, I think WWE/WWS are enough. My dd has already made a dramatic change in her writing since using SWB's methods. So I'm convinced by personal experience.

Some middle schoolers might appreciate supplementing with The Creative Writer (also available through PHP) or another creative writing course occasionally or once per week on the 5th day. The only reason for this is because WWE and WWS only teach expository writing. They are thorough in that, but adding creative writing exercises will round out the writing to cover everything for those students that want to express themselves more.

I'm anxious to see what will come after the WWS series!

Blessings,

Lucinda

Edited by HSMom2One
Adding more thoughts....