Menu

Open-and-go Science?

Hwin

Science is the one subject where it all falls apart on me. I tried planning it out, and then I tried the "we'll just read science books that interest him" approach.. and still there is no science going on here.

I'm looking at McRuffy for my K-er, not sure if I"ll use it this year or just wait until first grade.

What other options come packaged with experiments and activities?

Thank you!!

At 5 (K) you really don't need science. For now, Go on nature walks, buy some butterflies, and lady bugs. Buy some tadpoles. Read lots of picture books about them.

Are you starting 1st grade next year? Are you thinking you'll do a specific topic? Are you going to follow TWTM schedule, or are you looking for something more general?

Dorinda

At that age what my dd loved best was tagging along with her big brother, who was doing Real Science Odyssey's level 1 life science, and then a series of Science in a Nutshell kits. RSO basically has you read a page, then do an activity, and has a list of suggested books for additional reading (dd's attention span didn't stretch to extra reading, but she LOVED the hands-on bits). There wasn't a kit for it back then, but I've seen one recently at Home Science Tools. The Science in a Nutshell kits each come with little workbooks with a couple of pages of background information in the front, and then explanations of each activity (about 10 or 12 in each kit). Both RSO and SIAN have the child answer questions about the activity on a worksheet or workbook page as they go along. At kindergarten age dd could answer many of the questions and certainly was able to get a basic understanding of the concepts. She wasn't a writer yet, though, so I let her dictate while I did the writing, or else I just let her be her big brother's "lab assistant" and they discussed the answers and then he wrote them down.

I agree that they don't need formal science in K. We're working primarily on reading, writing and mathematics for this year.

On my academics shelf, however, I have Real Science 4 Kids, level 1, waiting to be put into use. I'm thinking come summertime, we'll go into maintenance mode for reading, writing and math, and take out FIAR and RS4K for the summer.

RS4K is a neat science program. I like the way it's set up. It has a textbook, a workbook and a teacher's manual. It has three aspects that are intended to be studied from K-3. Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I haven't really flipped through the content just yet, but it looks decent.

Magic school bus kits are great. Last year I did several. They lasted about 6-8 weeks doing them 2-3x a week. I added in library books, dvd's and notebooking (drawing, taking pics, and narration pages with me being the scribe) to make it last longer.The kits have everything needed (even batteries) and a booklet of projects. You will need to get the Magic School Bus book to go along with the kit(most libraries have these) though. Also the MSB shows can be found online which my dd enjoyed looking at.

We didn't like RSO because it wasn't meaty enough for our family. We are really enjoying NOEO. It is all planned out for you...very open and go. I also bought RS4K to mix in whenever the topics match. They are both excellent programs. Apologia is also nice (we did Apologia Astronomy and it was wonderful) depending on your beliefs. I am Old Earth so I just had to skip a few sections. It wasn't a big deal. I didn't mind the multiple mentions of God's creation because we believe that. :D It is very open and go and the experiments are fun and usually painless. We did skip a couple that were a lot of work. The volcano was a lot of work, but so worth it. We set it off about 20 times in a couple of weeks!

Probably not starting until 1st, but this year has made me realize I need to have it pre-packaged.

The Magic School Bus or home science adventures kits look like the sort of thing that we could stick with.

I really like some of the other programs - rso and rs4k - but I will not be able to spare much time or money to gather materials for projects. If I have projects staring at me from the shelf they will get used :D

Husband and I will both be working FT and husband will be attending school FT so we are really just trying to squeeze by for the next two years.

Singapore MPH science has been good for us as an "open and go", but I have a DD who will generally take the topics and run with them, creating her own projects, so a textbook-based method works well. I also do have her in a once a week lab class, so she's getting hands-on, just not necessarily in the same sequence.

And ITA with Basher science. I think we have every book he's written except for the little kid ones that came out after DD was too old for them.