Menu

Have to share a funny about our switch from AoPS Pre-Algebra to Dolciani Algebra!

We recently switched my DD from AoPS Pre-Algebra to Dolciani Algebra. Today she did her first formal two-column proofs, had to write them out, and she has NEVER liked writing. She was grumbling a little, and I said, "Well, this is just something we've been trying - we can go back to AoPS if you like that better?"

"No thanks! This is just too much writing, it's still WAY easier!!"

Formal proofs in algebra are easier than AoPS pre-algebra. That gave me quite a chuckle! :001_smile:

We recently switched my DD from AoPS Pre-Algebra to Dolciani Algebra. Today she did her first formal two-column proofs, had to write them out, and she has NEVER liked writing. She was grumbling a little, and I said, "Well, this is just something we've been trying - we can go back to AoPS if you like that better?"

Formal proofs in algebra are easier than AoPS pre-algebra. That gave me quite a chuckle! :001_smile:

:lol: :D LOL... That is too funny!!! Maybe we should all start with AoPS Pre-A. Then anything afterwards will be easy by comparison... except maybe more AoPS. :tongue_smilie:

:D Love it.

DD's AoPS Prealgebra 2 class starts tonight, the classes are now 15 minutes longer then they were in Prealgebra 1. ;)

:D LOL... That is too funny!!! Maybe we should all start with AoPS Pre-A. Then anything afterwards will be easy by comparison... except maybe more AoPS. :tongue_smilie:

I do use this - when dd complains about her math, I tell her that she is welcome to go back to APoS and suddenly she is happier with what she is working on.

She actually told me today that, even thought Dolciani is 'easier', it's also 'too boring' and she misses Richard's videos :-) So, we're going to switch back to AoPS I think & just call this an interesting little break.

:D That's what happened with us, more or less, but dd was using the prealgebra. I'm making a few modifications, spending more time with the white board. Dd10 has been extremely distracted either way - I don't know what's up with her, but it's driving me crazy (could it be a hormonal thing? she's been complaining about sweaty armpits. If it's not hormonal, it would seem to be a somewhat sudden case of ADD, though that does not make sense - lots of LD-type issues in her past, but attention was never really on the radar)

I decided to do both. DS (and I admittedly) would miss AoPS (and Richard). :lol:

You did? I got Lial's Pre-A today and I am off to look and compare to Dolciani....I do know we'll be using AoPS in some fashion....but now to compare Lial's and Dolciani.... It never ends :lol:

She actually told me today that, even thought Dolciani is 'easier', it's also 'too boring' and she misses Richard's videos :-) So, we're going to switch back to AoPS I think & just call this an interesting little break.

Interesting! I think this is what my son would say!

I got Lial's Pre-A today and I am off to look and compare to Dolciani....I do know we'll be using AoPS in some fashion....but now to compare Lial's and Dolciani.... It never ends :lol:

:lurk5: Please do share. We are also trying to figure out which way to go with math after 5th grade.

:D That's what happened with us, more or less, but dd was using the prealgebra. I'm making a few modifications, spending more time with the white board. Dd10 has been extremely distracted either way - I don't know what's up with her, but it's driving me crazy (could it be a hormonal thing? she's been complaining about sweaty armpits. If it's not hormonal, it would seem to be a somewhat sudden case of ADD, though that does not make sense - lots of LD-type issues in her past, but attention was never really on the radar)

Wapiti, I think some of my DD is hormonal right now too - she's gone from 'starting to develop' to 'looks like she's 16' in the last 6 months (she's the second youngest girl in her circle of friends, but she's by far the most developed, poor girl!) - but some of it for us is, she gets like this mid-winter EVERY year :-) It's Indiana and it's cold and we don't do as much in the winter. Then we take that two week Christmas break where we have all kinds of fun - and then she just finds it REALLY hard to get back into the academic groove in January!! So, that might be part of it for your DD too, if you live in a wintry area and your schedule changes up.

Okay.....I have only looked through Lial's briefly....but.....I like it. Sigh. Despite my reservations based on people saying here that it's "busy", I am a visual learner and think the way it's laid out is very clear. I like the multiple colors that highlight important things....

I am going to spend more time this weekend and maybe post something on my blog.

I'm so glad to read this. I am NOT a visual person. So maybe I'd hate it. I can hope.

Of course I have to order a copy to check it out.

I'll post photos this weekend so you can get a better sense of the inside. My son is not visual...he just....reads things and remembers them. It's annoying. :glare:

LOL

I'm similar. I don't like a lot of clutter on a page. Usborne books almost give me a seizure. It's awful. I read some of these books to my kids and I never know which parts to read when. It skips all over the place.

I suppose well placed visuals are ok. Singapore didn't bother me. That was rather visual, but not cluttered.

Ah yes, but see, I hate DK books--yuck. I too never know where to put my eyes.....