Menu

discovery streaming question

creekmom

I tried to sign up for the 30 day trial period, but I was unable to log in. When I emailed them, they emailed back saying that I had to purchase it, but I could be refunded if I didn't like it after the trial period. I was surprised bc their website didn't say I had to purchase it to get the trial. Did anyone else have this experience when trying out Discovery Streaming?

I didn't use a free trial - I looked through the site and read some reviews and just bought it......if you do buy, use Homeschool Buyers Coop - it's there at a significant discount!

Thank you - I was definitely going to buy it through hsbc! They emailed me a link to purchase it for the free trial. The link was way more expensive than the hsbc price, so I really don't want to "buy" the trial at that price! I will email them to see if they will let me try it out at the hsbc price.

Edited by creekmom

I think the info on HSBC says that there is no longer a free trial.

Thank you - I called the company and found that if you want a free trial, you have to order through them (at the more expensive price). Now I have to decide if it's worth it to purchase without knowing the quality.

Thank you - I called the company and found that if you want a free trial, you have to order through them (at the more expensive price). Now I have to decide if it's worth it to purchase without knowing the quality.

It'll depend on how you want to use it and for what subjects.

For us, I find it well worth the price for the year since I use the videos as supplements to our lessons, especially for science and history. Each week DS watches between 5 and 10 videos I've selected for the week - they're watched at his own pace, when he wants to watch. I pick them based on what we're doing and what I think he'll find more interesting watching a video than me droning on and on......once he's watched something, we can discuss and go through anything we have that's written material (ie. living books, textbook, etc.) and do projects or experiments.

I find the videos free up my time and allow him some independent work to take care of without my hounding him or needing him to do more seatwork/listening to me about a subject.

He can watch on his computer or on the iPad, so that also allows him to have portability - if he wants to watch something while we're driving he can do it on the iPad (I do reserve the iPad in the car for longer drives though for video).

I've just started poking through some of the teacher materials and suggested things to do, which some are great, others good, some boring - so I'll incorporate as needed if something looks good.

My subscription actually ends in mid-March - and I already know we'll renew because we do use it and use it frequently enough that it's worth the cost to us.

It'll depend on how you want to use it and for what subjects.

For us, I find it well worth the price for the year since I use the videos as supplements to our lessons, especially for science and history. Each week DS watches between 5 and 10 videos I've selected for the week - they're watched at his own pace, when he wants to watch. I pick them based on what we're doing and what I think he'll find more interesting watching a video than me droning on and on......once he's watched something, we can discuss and go through anything we have that's written material (ie. living books, textbook, etc.) and do projects or experiments.

I find the videos free up my time and allow him some independent work to take care of without my hounding him or needing him to do more seatwork/listening to me about a subject.

He can watch on his computer or on the iPad, so that also allows him to have portability - if he wants to watch something while we're driving he can do it on the iPad (I do reserve the iPad in the car for longer drives though for video).

I've just started poking through some of the teacher materials and suggested things to do, which some are great, others good, some boring - so I'll incorporate as needed if something looks good.

My subscription actually ends in mid-March - and I already know we'll renew because we do use it and use it frequently enough that it's worth the cost to us.

Thank you for the information. What I keep going back to are the free youtube videos. Do I really want to pay $$$ when I can search youtube and find tons of free videos for them to watch? For example, we watched a great youtube video on the northern lights this morning- totally free and excellent. I'm sure it might save time to use DS, but I've heard some say that the search engine is not that great. -I still can't decide. I wish they would let me have the free trial.

I tried to sign up for the 30 day trial period, but I was unable to log in. When I emailed them, they emailed back saying that I had to purchase it, but I could be refunded if I didn't like it after the trial period. I was surprised bc their website didn't say I had to purchase it to get the trial. Did anyone else have this experience when trying out Discovery Streaming?

Yes, it was sort of frustrating. I thought, but, if I pay for it you know that if I don't cancel then you have me! Sounded too risky and the link they sent me said the fee was about 260 or something per year.

I had no idea if I'd use it that much so it just seemed like a risk. I know that I've seen some folks talking about a G3 DE subscription but it only happens in August.

It sounds nice. I like the idea of what Tigger proposes with the independent time. Might be worth taking another look.