Menu

xpost: Differences between "The Way Life Works" and "Exploring the Way Life Works"?

Posted this on the middle school board, but haven't gotten any response. I know there are people here who have used this, but I'm wondering if maybe they all moved up to the high school board, hence the xpost:

I know one is sold as a book to read (TWLW), and the other as a science curriculum (ETWLW). I own The Way Life Works, and had my older kids read it alongside their regular biology curriculum (CPO).

Since then I heard they made a book to be used as a text for a course (I know some people here have used it, because this is where I heard it :)). Looking at the samples online, it looks like virtually the same book. It's more pages, but not a ton. What are the differences, and would it be at all worth it to get the textbook and use it instead of CPO (or I've also considered K12's Advanced Bio - my youngest loves anything on the computer)?

It seems there are sections in the text labeled "Doing Science" and "Tools of Science" - are these labs (annoyingly, the samples at Amazon don't include these pages)? If not, are there labs with this? I see you can get an instructor's CD with tests (mentioned in the preface), but where from?

I'd definitely like her to go through this book, the question is whether as supplement to CPO or K12, or as the main text. If you've used it as a main text, are there any key concepts in a more standard text that are not there? It's very heavy on molecular biology and evolution (both of which I'm fine with) - Ecosystems, Classification, and human anatomy don't seem to get as much time...

Any thoughts or feedback?

This link has the entire text of Exploring the Way Life Works in PDF format.

Thank you thank you! That is very helpful. It looks like there's quite a bit of additional material. Still doesn't look like there are any labs, though??

Has anyone found or made up or lined up other labs for this book?

Also still wondering where I could get that teacher's CD with the tests... I looked at the book's website, and it looks like the book itself isn't being sold by the publisher anymore?? :glare: