Menu

Help a New Homeschooler with 3 Kids 1st-4th!

daysaregifts

I am posting for a friend who is about to begin homeschooling these ages. What would you most recommend as far as some multi-age study? The more they could do together, the better. I think my friend would appreciate some independent work also as she adjusts to not only being a homeschooling mom, but having 3 kids close in age! What other advice for jumping in like this?

Thanks for ANY help! She will be following this closely!!

:001_smile:

I have 3 kids that are close. K, 2nd, 3rd. For my older two, I basically try to do the same in math, history, science. They do have different books for reading, grammar, and writing since my 2nd grader isn't as advanced in these areas as the 3rd grader. We sit down together and do our school work. I work individually with my K'er after I am done with the older two. All three of them do a bible lesson together. Hope that helps.

Having pulled my kids out of PS, I would highly recommend a decompression period. Go to museums, read books, do light math. Don't push too much curriculum. Even though my eldest was only in PS through mid-year of second grade, there were several months of adjustment. I've heard the longer the child's been in PS, the longer it takes to decompress. For us, three months was about right. Early on, I tried to push too much curriculum and it wasn't pleasant. After throwing out my plans, we did math and reading with narrations, both oral and written. After a few months, we added in grammar, writing instruction and history. It wasn't until the start of this school year that I really felt comfortable doing the full WTM courseload.

After this period, she should focus on reading, writing, and arithmetic. Get the kids adjusted to homeschooling before asking too much from them. I've put the curriculum I like below, but there are many on the board who have great success with other programs.

Math: I like Singapore, but I think it might be harder for an older child to jump into. If she chooses to go with Singapore, I'd recommend she back up a semester for the eldest two. The youngest should be able to start at level 1.

ELDEST

Reading: Assigned books. There are many reading recommendations for fourth grade online but I like looking at SonLight Core and SOTW AGs. Assign the book, discuss when completed, perhaps ask for an oral narration transitioning to written over time.

Writing: I assign writing weekly, but use WWW to teach concepts. WWW is close to a traditional public school instruction and can be done independently.

You didn't mention the age of the middle child, but if the younger two are 1st and 2nd and not reading, I'd recommend continued phonics. I'm a fan of OPGTR, using tips from this forum to make it more interesting. I couple OPGTR with phonics-only readers like BOB books and Nora Gaydos NIR. Once the child is reading, assign books based on their level. Copywork and dictation from readings to cover writing.

Once she's added in these three subjects and most days are going well, then she can start thinking about grammar, history, science, spelling, etc. I like Story of the World for history. I'd recommend she keep them all in the same science and history, beefing it up for the eldest.

I'd recommend HST+. I use it for history and science to keep track of separate assignments for my two kids. For example, if we're working on energy in science, I input the family's reading from the science textbook as well as separate leveled reading for the two kids. I do the same with history. In fact, history is my core for our literature studies. It takes some getting used to, but I think it helps make multi-grade curriculum planning easier.

Memoria Press Grade level packages. She probably should remove the latin for now so it doesn't seem as intimidating. We love the Classical model for language arts and math, Oak Meadow for science, social studies and art, and Five in a Row for literature here. MP does a good job of combining all 3.

Pandia Press has studies for science and history she could use with all 3.

We love CLE Math for its clarity, price, independence, and excellence. She MUST have her kids take the free placement test and place where they score. It is great for my older 2 but my younger crowd prefers R&S.

LA is going to be where they may need to split. This is where I think MP excels. She could combine the older 2 in R&S which covers her needs for spelling, grammar, and writing using the MP plans (only $30 each). Or she can use FLL3 and WWE 2 or 3 with the older 2. Does she need phonics still? Mine have done very well with First Start reading and SRA scheduled in MP K and First.

She could also go the Oak Meadow route by combining the older 2 in either 3rd or 4th grade. Whatever she does, the skills of a 1st grader are too far apart from the other 2 to realistically combine for much.

Just some thoughts. It might help to know if middle child is closer to 4th grader or 1st grader.

Just wanted to throw my hat in and agree that there needs to be a decompression period, esp. for the oldest. Use this time to put some new guidelines in place, for instance, we do not allow t.v. before 3:00 during the week, unless it is a video I have picked out for school time. Eat meals together, spend time at the library together. Paint, bake, read snuggled up together.

Work on adding one subject at a time. I am a CLE math enthusiast, too. It took me a long time to settle on math, as mine were in 1st, 4th and 7th, so it was hard.

I don't know if I would do much for video or on-line at those ages.

Before digging too hard into finding curriculum, I would advise having her find out what kind of homeschooler she is. Does she like classical, CM, unit studies? Does she require Christian or secular? Taking the time in the beginning to find your style will save $$ and frustration. The kids are young enough, there is plenty of time to learn what needs to be learned.

Just wanted to throw my hat in and agree that there needs to be a decompression period, esp. for the oldest. Use this time to put some new guidelines in place, for instance, we do not allow t.v. before 3:00 during the week, unless it is a video I have picked out for school time. Eat meals together, spend time at the library together. Paint, bake, read snuggled up together.

Work on adding one subject at a time. I am a CLE math enthusiast, too. It took me a long time to settle on math, as mine were in 1st, 4th and 7th, so it was hard.

I don't know if I would do much for video or on-line at those ages.

Before digging too hard into finding curriculum, I would advise having her find out what kind of homeschooler she is. Does she like classical, CM, unit studies? Does she require Christian or secular? Taking the time in the beginning to find your style will save $$ and frustration. The kids are young enough, there is plenty of time to learn what needs to be learned.

:iagree::iagree:

We pulled our kids from a private school for this year. I have a PK4, 1st and 3rd. We love using the trivium. For much of our stuff (especially science and history), we do memory work from CC. We did join a community but you could do it on your own. Every age and learning style can do memory work in their own way so it's been great.

Everyone does hands on stuff together.

For the 3rd grader, we reinforce it with more formal ways (independent reading and writing and research), and he does Latin.

For the 1st, more age appropriate copywork or visuals or coloring.

The PK4 is just along for the ride.

We have separate math and LA curriculum.

She said she's been busy looking up acronyms to help her interpret this! :001_smile: She is very appreciative! I love the reminders of the decompression period and slowly adding in subjects.

Any thoughts for a living books type curriculum that would enable them to do sci/history/Bible/geo together? She would like to start with American History since that is what the will-be-4th grader is very fascinated with at the moment.

Guest Keepingtheirhearts

I finally got all logged in. I am having so much fun reading and decoding all the abbreviations. Its kinda like I am breaking a very important code. Thank you all so much for your input. Here are a few more details that might help you suggest somethings...

My oldest will be in 4th, she is not motivated well at school and is just starting to show signs of laziness in her work. She likes completing ever page and filling in ever blank but when she can't she feels very defeated. And wants to give up. She has a LOVE for US history and would love to read more about that than anything else.

My next daughter will be in the 2nd grade, but is flying by in 1st. She seems to never struggle with anything and her lowest grade on anything all year has been maybe a 90. Very motivated and Loves working extra to complete things and she also likes to fill every blank, on every page and make it look nice and neat.

My youngest daughter will be in the 1st grade. I don't feel like her learning style has developed yet. She has the sweetest, fun-loving, go with the flow personality. She is reading right with her class.

I have began using explode the code or ETC :D, ha look I can do it too, for reinforcement after school. They all enjoy it but not so sure how long that will last.

Thanks again for all your help, any and all advice is welcome!!

Ooo, three girls! :)

Doing american history with girls can be a lot of fun! 4th is a really crummy age for american history, because your choice of awesome spines is limited. I use Veritas Press as a spine. They have an AMAZING catalog that you just absolutely, positively have to get, no matter what. It will change your life. Anyways, lol, if you want the SIMPLEST option, get the Abeka 4th gr US history textbook and use that as a spine, fleshing it out with extras. Make your plan ahead of time, and be sure to make space for the extras you want to do like sewing costumes, have a Little House on the Prairie week (month?), that sort of thing. My dd was crazy into Little House in her early years, so she'd listen to all the audio recordings of the books, read the books, then go back to the audios. She had the outfit, the cookbook, you name it. You can have tons of fun with girls at this age.

You could get TOG. It's overkill and not necessary. You can have just as much fun with that Abeka text as a spine. If you want to do american this year, start gently, and then go into a four year cycle when they're 2nd-5th, that will work great. At that point, with 2nd to 5th, you could of course do MOH, SOTW, or TOG.

WinterPromise could work, but you just need to look at it and decide for yourself. It has a younger set that is nice and an older level that uses the Time Travelers stuff. It's great, but it's a lot of paper crafting. As you can tell, my dd wanted to wear it, eat it, live it, not color it. But it's fun if it fits your dc.

Don't let anything make you so worried that you squash your joy. These are the magical years. Later it's just a lot of WORK. Now it's fun, fun, fun, so let it be that way. Small, consistent efforts will nail the skill stuff you need done. Beyond that, it can be the fun they want. If they want history, give 'em history. For us, VP has been a marvelous spine. There's a great VP_Elementary yahoo group btw. :)

Guest Keepingtheirhearts

Yes I have left out a big piece of the puzzle. I would like as much as possible to biblical based!! I have looked at tog a little, their site was slow and frustrating to me. The more I look at MFW the more I see what I am wanting, except that I am so scared of all the work. And that it's not starting with us history. But I started questioning my kids and they seem very interested in ecc. I've read really positive things and really negative things so not sure where to go. Still praying, researching, looking for advice! Thanks again!

I have a 3rd grade son and a "would be a first grader, but the umbrella charter school put her in 2nd and we were already doing almost everything together, so we went with it" daughter.

We do math, handwriting, piano, and used to do reading until they were fluent, separately. We do science, history, grammar, vocabulary, and the "extras" like foreign language, art, etc. together.

Don't buy anything until you've: 1) checked your local library (and any other reciprocal libraries) and 2) printed out samples and tried them with your kids! :D

Some books, by subject, we've loved that we found at our local library:

Science -- almost anything by Janice Van Cleave, the Let's Read and Find Out series, the Magic School Bus series, some of the Basher books.

History -- the Betsy Maestro books, the Kids Discover magazines, the Symbols of Freedom books by Tristan Boyer Binns

English -- the books by Brian P. Cleary

Composers and Artists -- Mike Venezia's books

Many others, too!

After trying samples of many things, we invested in, and love, the curriculum listed in my signature, but many others would probably have worked, too.

We love Tapestry of Grace! I was a bit overwhelmed at first, and had to revisit looking at it a few times.

It works great for us for K5--age 14. I like that you can do as little or as much as you want (spend an extra week on Genesis or speed up through another topic) and still make progress through the curriculum at each grade level. We also love how much they learn from one another as they share information since no matter what their ages, they are studying the same time period.