Menu

Scholarship searches--Worth the time?

We are starting The Great Scholarship Hunt at our house. Ds isn't really outstanding in any particular way--he's a nice, go-to-church kid who does his chores, likes to get on Facebook, loves movies, and doesn't do any sports. He's white, not disabled in any way, and pretty blah in terms of what scholarship places seem to be looking for.

Not to put him in a bad light, but I think you probably kwim!:D

So, have any of you actually found those obscure scholarships that everyone says are out there? We are using Fastweb, the SallieMae site, and a few others to search. Just wanna know if it's worth it for someone so "middle of the road."

I'd focus on the scholarships available through the colleges. Some colleges do have scholarships available to pretty "normal" kids. Check out the colleges and look specifically at ones where he would be a good 'fit" and his scores would be above average (not necessarily above average by a lot).

I have several friends who have been surprised at having money offered to their kids just because they were the right kid at the right time at the right college.

Small potatoes but a lot of community organizations give out scholarships and sometimes have few applicants. For example, Farm Bureau had an essay contest for seniors in a tri-county area this year and they had to extend the deadline after only two essays were submitted. (They had money for three scholarships!)

I would look into your local Lions club, Rotary, etc. Again, the sum may be small ($500) but every bit can help.

Jane

I so agree! My ds would not submit for a scholarship that involved writing an essay. What a shame!! There are lots of local clubs that sponsor students, and if you get many of these scholarships then they do add up. My ds could have also applied to various military scholarship programs for dependents, but as I said he wouldn't write anything. I'm hoping my dds will be different.

Yet the big scholarships are the ones that are given through the colleges. I recently went to a homeschool graduation where the parents related that their dds' creative essay landed her a full ride scholarship. You just never know!

I'd focus on the scholarships available through the colleges. Some colleges do have scholarships available to pretty "normal" kids. Check out the colleges and look specifically at ones where he would be a good 'fit" and his scores would be above average (not necessarily above average by a lot).

I have several friends who have been surprised at having money offered to their kids just because they were the right kid at the right time at the right college.

Chris,

I agree with Gwen. We are beginning the scholarship hunt as well. Another thing I have heard from local friends is that often schools that are farther away from where you live will be more inclined to give generous aid because they are trying to "fill out" their class with a diverse mix of students from different states. I'm am working with my son now to select a mix of schools for him to apply to -- all places he could see himself going -- but a variety in terms of schools that would be a "good" academic fit for him as well as places where he'd be above average. We're also trying to find a couple of schools that are outside of our local area.

While it's tempting to try and decide on a "dream" school, I've read that if finances are an issue, it makes sense to try and help your child see the "fit" at several different places. While there still might be a favorite, you might be able to avoid major disappointment if the financial aid is not good at the "dream" school. This approach made a lot of sense to me.

HTH,

Brenda

• 4 weeks later...

We used fastweb and applied for quite a few scholarships. Ds had excellent SAT scores and was an Eagle Scout, so I thought he had a chance, but he received nothing. This was frustrating as he did invest a lot of time in writing all those essays.

I agree that more money is available directly through the college and in local scholarships.

There are scholarships out there from local and state-based companies that I would recommend you look in to. I went to the local high school guidance counselor and got info there. Also google some local companies and check.

Some churches have memorial scholarships, so you could check with your church or denomination. Of course, check with the college where he plans to attend.

If it were not for the scholarships, my son wouldn't be planning on attending a private Christian college this fall. God is good!

~Robin in Alabama