Menu

Ancient History videos/games for young kids

Momling

I'm attempting the ancients for the third time with my younger daughter - who is almost 8. In the past, I've found it really hard to engage her in history topics... even exciting and interesting stories (like Greek mythology or stories about mummies) leave her bored. She's a real action-girl, but I think she's maturing enough to pay attention for short periods of time.

I'm determined to make it happen this time. I'm using Ancient History Portfolio Jr (I've used the classic with my older daughter and liked it) along with SOTW and the library and brainpop.

What I'd like, however, are recommendations for videos (Netflix/Amazon Instant/Youtube) that she might find accessible. She does *not* do documentaries, except for those aimed at kids (like Magic Schoolbus). Any thoughts? All I can think of offhand are Horrible Histories and Jim Henson's storyteller Greek Myths.

Also -- any ideas about games (like those at BBC kids)?

Thank you all! I'm looking into the Age of Mythology. Also, I stayed up late last night listening to those great history songs. I'm curious whether my kids will appreciate them as much as I do, since the songs are my generation. Still... awesome ideas - thank you!

I'm attempting the ancients for the third time with my younger daughter - who is almost 8. In the past, I've found it really hard to engage her in history topics... even exciting and interesting stories (like Greek mythology or stories about mummies) leave her bored. She's a real action-girl, but I think she's maturing enough to pay attention for short periods of time.

I'm determined to make it happen this time. I'm using Ancient History Portfolio Jr (I've used the classic with my older daughter and liked it) along with SOTW and the library and brainpop.

What I'd like, however, are recommendations for videos (Netflix/Amazon Instant/Youtube) that she might find accessible. She does *not* do documentaries, except for those aimed at kids (like Magic Schoolbus). Any thoughts? All I can think of offhand are Horrible Histories and Jim Henson's storyteller Greek Myths.

Also -- any ideas about games (like those at BBC kids)?

I hadn't heard of Ancient History Portfolio Jr (or any of those portfolios, for that matter). I checked out the website. The samples look nice. Are these only available in pdf? Do they sell any actual book with the pages already printed? I just hate pdf's & printing. :tongue_smilie:

Yes, they're printed on nice thick paper and bound in a 3 ring horizontal binder. With the classic one, the teacher's pages are PDFs and the portfolio is bound. The Jr one has the teacher's pages in the back.

I've used the classic Medieval one and will start the Renaissance with my older daughter and it's working well. I'm curious about the Junior one which just arrived at my house this week. It's not as open ended or as extensive as the classic one, but that might be okay. I might move a few pages from my older daughter's in order to pad out the junior one... Also, the Medieval and Renaissance looked pretty secular to me (although it certainly had a fair amount of pages dedicated to the spread of early Christianity, and a definite European focus) while the Jr ancients one has kids assembling a scene from the Garden of Eden and a section on the birth of Christ. I didn't find it overwhelming or inappropriate, so I wouldn't rule it out if you're homeschooling secularly - there is also plenty of option for changing it. For instance, I'm thinking about adding in an Early Human section in addition to the Christian creation story.

Yes, they're printed on nice thick paper and bound in a 3 ring horizontal binder. With the classic one, the teacher's pages are PDFs and the portfolio is bound. The Jr one has the teacher's pages in the back.

I've used the classic Medieval one and will start the Renaissance with my older daughter and it's working well. I'm curious about the Junior one which just arrived at my house this week. It's not as open ended or as extensive as the classic one, but that might be okay. I might move a few pages from my older daughter's in order to pad out the junior one... Also, the Medieval and Renaissance looked pretty secular to me (although it certainly had a fair amount of pages dedicated to the spread of early Christianity, and a definite European focus) while the Jr ancients one has kids assembling a scene from the Garden of Eden and a section on the birth of Christ. I didn't find it overwhelming or inappropriate, so I wouldn't rule it out if you're homeschooling secularly - there is also plenty of option for changing it. For instance, I'm thinking about adding in an Early Human section in addition to the Christian creation story.

Thank you. We are using History Odyssey with the History Pockets (had I known about HP I probably would have just done that). My dd is loving it and can't get enough of activity pages like this. I'm thinking of getting the Ancient History Jr one to go along with it. I'm just debating if it would be overkill or not. The order page at the HP website seems so confusing to me. It looks like so much pdf's. I see that Rainbow Resource has the kit...I might just give it a try.