Menu

Need Ideas...out of the box

SunshineMom

My dd8 has been obsessed with animals for years, especially wild cats. She reads animal encyclopedias, adult vet books, books on herbal animal medicine, basically anything she can get her hands on about animals. She wants to be a wildlife vet. She envisions herself living in Africa working in a wildlife refuge. She has even gone so far as to request to learn French (currently waiting for curriculum). We are planning on taking an African tour when she is in her teens. Help me think outside of the box here-not curriculum. What opportunities can I give her now to foster her passion? Background: she attended a wildlife vet camp last year and will again this summer (week program). Side note: our local zoo will only accept internships with kids 12yrs up :confused:. She is getting back into Plato Science Biology and is very quickly learning to type (she wants to start a website). We have a cat, chickens and a Beta which she has cared for since she was 5yrs old. Last summer, she organized a neighborhood kids fair to generate donations for the Humane Society. She has also made interview videos with a vet, the Humane Society and a horse ranch. This kid stretches me and I am trying to keep up with her!!! Suggestions???? I am not sure she is a vet or an animal rights activist--she's gonna need a megaphone either way! She is a natural born leader and wise beyond her years. I am gonna need to get out of her way but would like to guide her-help

Can you find a mentor? Our vet is a homeschool mom herself (well, office-schooler. Her kids have done most of their schooling through the years at the clinic) and is more than willing to mentor homeschooled kids interested in learning more about animals (she's made this offer to DD-and has been wonderful at sharing information with DD). I don't know what her minimum age is, but if you could find someone like that in your area, that sounds perfect for your daughter.

I've had a cat sitter for the last several years who is a homeschooled teen-she started working for us when she was 13, and I was amazed at how professional she is. She's built up quite a business in the area managing vacations, walking dogs and the like, and I'm going to miss her when she goes to college next year. She plans to be a vet, and I can easily see it, so that might be another option.

Ddmetler, thank you for responding. Yes, I agree, getting dd8 involved with a local vet would be fantastic. I need to pursue this and not worry that many might turn us down. Actually, dd8 has been begging me to let her start up a pet sitting business. I told her we could do that in the summer for it is just too busy right now. My only concern with the above options is her age. People are so quick to dismiss a child's passion, level of responsibility, likewise their maturity because of some preconceived notion that children are not capable and are a waste of their time.

Can she put her energy into starting a blog or a cool youtube channel teaching others about a specific animal (can you block or monitor comments, just in case)?

DD8 gets Zoobooks magazine. It's really good, but is likely below your dd.

Lots and lots of documentaries and podcasts.

Can she work for a cat rescue? Foster cats? We have a local wildlife rehabilitation facility. Of course, you would have to be the main volunteer...

Ask on the general board for great movie ideas. DD just asked to see Fox and the Child again. The "similar items" in my link has a lot of other options...with wild cats! ;)

Sorry - I don't have many ideas. Have fun!

Do you have a wildlife rescuer in your area? The one here will not allow children (or parents of young children) to help inside (health concerns), but she will often let them release animals back into the wild and even help capture injured animals.

Our local game warden (not dog warden) gives out the rescuer's number if asked for it.

My oldest son, who is now 15, went through an ornithology phase. (We thought it would be much more than a phase, because it lasted from age 3 to age 13! But then he discovered the airplane...)

Anyway, he found mentors and friends all over the place. I felt at the time that those individual connections were more valuable than the programs, for my son, at least. If he had gone on to pursue a job or career in that field the programs would have certainly been beneficial.

When ds was 6 or 7 we met an ornithologist who was doing a "Birds of Prey" presentation at our zoo. He took the time to talk with ds and they really hit it off, so the ornithologist invited us to come to each local event on his circuit to learn more and talk more. My son got to help with the birds, and with the presentations as well. We still see that man around town sometimes, always with his field jacket on and binoculars around his neck. LOL

When ds was 12 an Ornithology Center opened up at a local wildlife refuge. Ds couldn't get there fast enough. He took binoculars, well-worn field guides, a water bottle, and comfy shoes. (He was so cute!) Anyway, he got the attention of the workers as soon as he came through the door because they had a wall-sized game about "Birds of (Our State)" and he got 100% right. Someone went to find the director of the center to talk with ds about birds, and they too saw each other as kindred spirits. The director took ds all over the center, loaned him some better binoculars, and invited us all on a private birdwatching expedition with himself and his staff. This led to chances to meet other bird-interested scientists and experts in our area.

So my advice is to go where the experts are and let your DD be the cute kid in the safari hat who comes up to ask intelligent questions. We've never been disappointed by anyone that my son has approached about any of his big interests, whether ornithology or music or electrical engineering or aerospace. All who put themselves out there are in the business of interacting with the public because they want people, especially kids, to care about the same things they care about. Give them a chance. :)

Thank you to those who took the time to respond to my request. There are some wonderful suggestions here which I will pursue with dd8. I do believe I need to give others (adults/experts) a chance to say yes to working or involving my dd8 with opportunities. Thank you for also sharing your own experiences with your children, I would love to hear more of these types of examples. It is easy to get bogged down with curriculum and lose sight of our own purpose in facilitating our child's unique passions.