Menu

Always waiting for the "next thing".

I'm starting to think I have a problem. Mentally ill maybe?? :001_huh: When I look back on my adult life, I see MAJOR decisions and therefore changes happening almost every year (or two at least). And here I am again, coveting another change. My life is great. There is not a thing to complain about. I just get the itch for the "next thing". It's like the "next thing" occupies my thoughts and some of my day-to-day time, so I feel busier and productive until we get to the big change (a move, for instance). I wish so badly I could just transfer my problem to a smaller goal of some sort... for instance, painting a room in the house. But no, my changes have to be big, huge, and life changing. I think all for the sake of change. Does it sound like I have a big problem? Is this just a restless personality? What can I do to calm myself down, and just "be"? Anyone else have this issue?? :confused:

No, you are not mentally ill. Unless I am too (maybe so)

I am the same way. Moving to a different city, different job (soooo many), different career, having a baby, another baby (despite numerous fertility issues), building a house, going back to school on-line, constantly looking on-line "where can we move now". My dh refuses to, but I'm always looking at real estate on-line and looking up new city info.

Anyway, I don't know what it is either, and I am very happy too. You wouldn't think so, huh? What is missing? I think I need to focus on God more. Yes, that is the answer.

Bess :grouphug:

It's hard to tell from a single post exactly what it going on. It's hard to give advice like this. However, I think the fact that you are questioning this so strongly is a sign in itself. If you are looking at yourself and saying, "this is so not normal!" then chances are it's not.

It's hard to say from one post whether you suffer from some sort of mental illness. Perhaps what you're describing is mania or even depression, but I couldn't tell ya. Perhaps all your busyness is some sort of defensive mechanism you've developed and not a mental illness. Maybe you really are just wired to go-go-go a little more than others. It's hard to say.

But, once again, the fact that you are so concerned about it is a red flag. So I would tell you to be proactive. (A big skywriting plane isn't going to show up and write the answer above your house.)

I would recommend going just once to a psychologist or therapist or counselor and spelling out your concerns. They would have a much better grasp of whether you should worry. If it's nothing, you'll know. If it might be something or is something, you'll know. You'll no longer be paralyzed by "I don't knows" and be able to take action.

I hope that helps.

I have the same issue....

Age 18, joined a new church and started college

Age 19, got married and moved

Age 20, had our first baby and moved

Age 21, moved

Age 22, this was a "boring" year

Age 23, had our 2nd baby and graduated from college and moved

Age 24, moved again

Age 25, had our 3rd baby and moved and bought our first home

Age 26, had our 4th baby

Age 27, had our 5th baby, moved back closer to "home"

Age 28, thought I was gonna go nuts cause nothing changed

Age 29, decided to do something new and went on a big vacation to somewhere "new"

Age 30, another big vacation to somewhere new

Age 31, another big vacation and a move to another state

Age 32, started wondering how long we needed to stay put here

Age 33, put our house up for sale and looking at another move

Wow...that's kinda freaky to write it all out. And these are only the things I actually did...not all the stuff we tried to do. For years, we either had a baby or moved. I'd probably still be having babies if it were possible.

Anyway, you're not alone, and I never thought of it as a mental illness?? Hum. Now I'm going to wonder. I had a Grandfather who couldn't stay put either. Also, I am happy with my life. I have stong faith, love my little ones, love my husband, and wouldn't change any of that. I just like new scenery. Sometimes I really, really wish though, that I could just be content with settling. I'm just not.

Interesting.

Wow. Your life sounds freakishly similar to my own. Thankfully in my case, my husband does not have my "disease" and is putting his foot down on all accounts. Sooo.... I'm left with what to do!! :confused: I wish I could just chill.

I have the same issue....

Age 18, joined a new church and started college

Age 19, got married and moved

Age 20, had our first baby and moved

Age 21, moved

Age 22, this was a "boring" year

Age 23, had our 2nd baby and graduated from college and moved

Age 24, moved again

Age 25, had our 3rd baby and moved and bought our first home

Age 26, had our 4th baby

Age 27, had our 5th baby, moved back closer to "home"

Age 28, thought I was gonna go nuts cause nothing changed

Age 29, decided to do something new and went on a big vacation to somewhere "new"

Age 30, another big vacation to somewhere new

Age 31, another big vacation and a move to another state

Age 32, started wondering how long we needed to stay put here

Age 33, put our house up for sale and looking at another move

Wow...that's kinda freaky to write it all out. And these are only the things I actually did...not all the stuff we tried to do. For years, we either had a baby or moved. I'd probably still be having babies if it were possible.

Anyway, you're not alone, and I never thought of it as a mental illness?? Hum. Now I'm going to wonder. I had a Grandfather who couldn't stay put either. Also, I am happy with my life. I have stong faith, love my little ones, love my husband, and wouldn't change any of that. I just like new scenery. Sometimes I really, really wish though, that I could just be content with settling. I'm just not.

Interesting.

I don't know if its really a problem for you, but if it were me, I would be wondering if I am trying to escape or avoid something, some feeling. And I guess boredom could be that feeling, and maybe there is something under that, too. Many people spend their whole adult lives 'running' from something, but I don't know if thats your issue.

It is one of my spiritual practices to come back to the present moment, and be aware of how much I am postponing my life for some future event. Postponement is a common but wasteful practice- a waste of life. It's not that you can't have a part of you enjoying the anticipation of a future event, but if the most of your awareness and attention isn't in the present moment enjoying or just experiencing now, then where are you? Not "here".

I enjoy change too. I like to change the furniture around just to have some change, when things get a little dull. I don't see this as a problem at all. But theres a difference between enjoying change and using change to avoid something- that sort of change feels driven and compulsive rather than just a good shift of energy. Change is an inevitable fact of life, too, so there is often no need to go looking for it. It comes soon enough.

I had an aunt and uncle who just had to move house every two years. My uncle, a wonderful man, just needed to change jobs often- felt the compulsion to, rather than had to because of his line of work- so they moved often. My two cousins have both responded differently to this constant change in their childhood- one has stayed fairly put and stable. The other cannot stay still and drags her husband and kids all over the country- and they are now in the next country, New Zealand.

I think its sad so many people can't stay still for a moment nowadays. But on the other hand, we all have amazingly unique and different personalities and whats right for one person is just not going to be whats right for another. I have no idea whats right for you, I can only share my own experience.

I remember right into my twenties needing something to look forward to. But I was also a fairly depressed person in many ways, though I didn't know it then and others wouldn't have thought so- I hid it well. But then I seemed to just grown out of it...partly because of my spiritual path...I learned to meditate, and that is all about becoming still inside, and also about facing whatever comes up, feeling it and letting it pass. Its amazing how much we can avoid feeling by being busy.

But its hard to tell, not knowing you, whether its really a problem for you.