Menu

Sherlock Holmes read aloud

Vida Winter

Can't think of anything of anything unsuitable topic-wise. However, due to the Victorian language, vocabulary, sentence structure and culture, I doubt a 7yo would connect with or find these stories very interesting. Your older DD, esp. if she enjoys the detective genre, may enjoy these as a read-aloud with just the 2 of you. (I think our older DS, who really loved reading detective/mysteries, read a number of the Sherlock Holmes short stories on his own when he was around 12yo.)

Alternate ideas:

- Both of your DC would probably find the old Sherlock Holmes films (starring Basil Rathbone) fun.

- And the "Basil of Baker Street" series by Eve Titus (at about a 3rd grade reader level) and cute

- The animated film "The Great Mouse Detective" came from Titus' books.

- Your 7yo would also likely enjoy the Great Classics Illustrated abridged version of several Sherlock Holmes stories.

- And your 11yo would probably enjoy "The Baker Street Irregulars" (Newman).

Back to idea of reading aloud the original short stories -- most are not long; why not pre-read one for yourself and see what you think? Text of most of the short stories can be read online, on Sherlockian.net. BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

I've read most of them, and I don't recall anything questionable. It's been awhile, but I can't think of anything offhand that could be a problem. Opium use, maybe?

It's not content that concerns me, but the language. They really want me to read the stories, though, so I may just start in and see how it goes.

Can't think of anything of anything unsuitable topic-wise. However, due to the Victorian language, vocabulary, sentence structure and culture, I doubt a 7yo would connect with or find these stories very interesting. Your older DD, esp. if she enjoys the detective genre, may enjoy these as a read-aloud with just the 2 of you. (I think our older DS, who really loved reading detective/mysteries, read a number of the Sherlock Holmes short stories on his own when he was around 12yo.)

Alternate ideas:

- Both of your DC would probably find the old Sherlock Holmes films (starring Basil Rathbone) fun.

- And the "Basil of Baker Street" series by Eve Titus (at about a 3rd grade reader level) and cute

- The animated film "The Great Mouse Detective" came from Titus' books.

- Your 7yo would also likely enjoy the Great Classics Illustrated abridged version of several Sherlock Holmes stories.

- And your 11yo would probably enjoy "The Baker Street Irregulars" (Newman).

Back to idea of reading aloud the original short stories -- most are not long; why not pre-read one for yourself and see what you think? Text of most of the short stories can be read online, on Sherlockian.net. BEST of luck, whatever you decide! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Lori, these resources look marvelous. Eve Titus is already a favorite of dd7's (Anatole). Basil of Baker Street and The Baker Street Irregulars are on my list to purchase, and while we wait for them, I remembered I have a Jim Weiss retelling of Sherlock Holmes around here if I can only find it. He did and excellent job with The Speckled Band and The Red-Headed League, if I recall. I also plan on reading the original tales. Once they have a bit of an intro, it will make it easier.

My 10yo daughter recently read the original Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

She understands not all language used in books is appropriate to use in everyday life, so we've not had an issue with that. Not yet, anyway. :tongue_smilie:

The stories didn't seem to scare her. They could be upsetting to some children, though.

In contrast, she started to read some of Alfred Hitchcock's works and decided to put those away until she was older. She loved his children's stories though.

In contrast, she started to read some of Alfred Hitchcock's works and decided to put those away until she was older. She loved his children's stories though.

I was unaware that Alfred Hitchcock had written stories for children. Could you share some more information, please?

Regards,

Kareni

I was unaware that Alfred Hitchcock had written stories for children. Could you share some more information, please?

Regards,

Kareni

I believe these were all in the children's section of our library.

She read and enjoyed these starting when she was about 8.

Ghostly Gallery

Alfred Hitchcock's Supernatural Tales of Terror and Suspense

Alfred Hitchcock's Haunted Houseful

I was unaware that Alfred Hitchcock had written stories for children.

Just to clarify: Hitchcock was NOT the author. He was the editor of these collections of non-violent/non-gory, atmospheric "ghost" and "haunted" short stories for late elementary/pre-teen ages. The stories are by a variety of authors. I had the "Haunted Houseful" collection when I was a kid and loved several of the stories. :)

Edited by Lori D.

Just to clarify: Hitchcock was NOT the author. He was the editor of these collections of non-violent/gory, atmospheric "ghost" and "haunted" short stories for late elementary/pre-teen ages. The stories are by a variety of authors. I had the "Haunted Houseful" collection when I was a kid and loved several of the stories. :)

Good catch! Thanks for the clarification. I obviously didn't look too closely when I was recording them in my dd's list of books read. ;)

Thanks again.

Hey, and don't know if you clicked on that link I included, but when you read the description of those Alfred Hitchcock collections, there are some well-respected authors in there! Agatha Christie, Raymond Chandler, Ellery Queen, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Daphne du Maurier...

It's not content that concerns me, but the language. They really want me to read the stories, though, so I may just start in and see how it goes.

Ah, gotcha. All the same, you may want to preread so you can edit any of the scenes that take place in an opium den. I think there was at least one.

Hey, and don't know if you clicked on that link I included, but when you read the description of those Alfred Hitchcock collections, there are some well-respected authors in there! Agatha Christie, Raymond Chandler, Ellery Queen, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Daphne du Maurier...

:iagree: