Menu

Any members in China?

We will be heading to Bejing - Xian - Guilin - Yangshou - Shanghai - Hangzhou and then out. The questions I have are basically whether or not I need to pack my own peanut butter and nutella (DS is a very picky eater!) I also was wondering how travelling by rail is generally.

We are excited but so much to learn in such a short time my brain is a bit overwhelmed!

We will be heading to Bejing - Xian - Guilin - Yangshou - Shanghai - Hangzhou and then out. The questions I have are basically whether or not I need to pack my own peanut butter and nutella (DS is a very picky eater!) I also was wondering how travelling by rail is generally.

We are excited but so much to learn in such a short time my brain is a bit overwhelmed!

I would take your own though, because you don't want to be chasing around trying to find it. You'll find Saltines in most grocery stores too, and other less recognisable crackers. I've seen Nutella in speciality imported food stores, or shelves within larger grocery stores, but again I'd take your own.

Travelling by train: depends very much on what class you are travelling. If you are going with an organised tour and in 'soft sleeper' then you should be fine. The toilets might be .... challenging, but I'm sure that anyone who's lived in Asia should be fine. Travelling on your own (and having to find the right train, etc.) in hard seat or hard sleeper can be crowded and confusing. It's a long time since I've travelled by train though, so you might like to do a little online research to see how things are now. More and more people in China have the money to travel, so overcrowding is likely to be an issue.

Laura