Menu

To Laminate or not to Laminate

Hi Everyone! Some of you I know from another board..the rest of you!

Hi!

I am remodeling my kitchen this month. I have yet to made a decision on what to put on the floors.

I am not known to be a neat cook so I hesitate to put in laminate floors.

I am looking for some advice..have you put it in and loved it..hated it..

I know there are different qualities of flooring and the price isn't as much of a factor as how does it hold up to a not so neat cook.

OUr youngest just graduated and is the only one left at home, so we don't get the foot traffic we had a few years ago.

I am really ok with puttingn down vinyl, except that my dining room bumps into my hallway to the bedrooms and vinyl just wouldn't look right there. The bedrooms all have hardwood floors, the bathroom vinyl. The living room also is off the dining room..so if I put down vinyl in the dining room and laminate in teh hallway, I have 3 different floors comign together in the corner of my dining..Vinyl, lamiante and carpet.

Nope, can't afford to change the carpet in the front room to laminate either at this point in time.

Suggestions! ADvice!

Brand names if you can list them..

I do shop at that huge warehouse store and they have a good deal on laminates later this month with their Passport savings coupon, but I am not fond of the colors they have.

Boy this is long for a first time post!

We laminted kitchen in old house ,but not rest of house. Boy , I wish we did, now we have to pull up carpet for renters.

New house we put Armstrong laminate throughout, no carpet. It looks nice because every room has it. It also is textured. So looks like wood.

It was the highest grade, cleans beautifully. No problems. Love it.

Jet

Suggestions! ADvice!

Brand names if you can list them..

I do shop at that huge warehouse store and they have a good deal on laminates later this month with their Passport savings coupon, but I am not fond of the colors they have.

Boy this is long for a first time post!

from Costco. It was way easier to install and way cheaper than the glue-in Pergo we installed 10 years ago in our townhouse. I really think it looks nice (better than our Pergo) and I'm hopeful it will hold up well. My dh and a friend installed 600 sq feet of it in one day. My dh is installing thresholds and molding (from Lowes) today. There was very little waste as most pieces were in good shape right out of the box.

I'm not sure how well it would hold up in a kitchen. I'd recommend tile and DIY if you can. I've got some high end vinyl in my kitchen and it hasn't taken the puncture marks (dropped knives) very well. If I did it over, I'd choose tile. ;-(

We did a wonderful laminate floor in the kitchen, it looked great, it was just perfect. Well, the dishwasher started to have a leak (we were clueless about the leak). The leak was under it, of course, and we had no clue it was running water right under the laminate flooring until it started squishing up through the cracks. By that time it was too late.

Long story short, we wound up pulling up every last stitch of laminate, it was all totally ruined and the water that was under there got into the expensive quiet step floor pad that was under the laminate and smelled to high heaven. Not to mention it rotted part of the subfloor that we had to replace. The pad just held the water like a sponge, it was horrible trying to get that smelly thing out of there.

No I would not recommend laminate flooring in a kitchen or bathroom or anywhere near water! We have laminate in every room of our house for my sons allergies, except the kitchen and bathrooms and they are vinyl. We now have a nice vinyl floor in our kitchen and I dont have to worry about it if anything ever springs a leak. If I were to do it all over again I would go with either vinyl or tile and skipped the whole laminate kitchen nightmare.

My dh is a carpenter and he has a love/hate relationship with laminate. The quality varies so greatly and the even over time with the same brand.

He recently put in some expensive laminate into a home and it scratched the moment furniture was on it. He was ticked.

I think "solid" hardwood flooring would be a better choice in a wet area.