Menu

Any Design/Decorating Geniuses Here Tonight? Question:

My kitchen has base cabinets only -- it was very small, before taking down a wall, and I did not want wall cabinets. (I will try to find a photo)

We have three very nice white shelves on one wall. Art work on the others.

I am staging this weekend.

I have used the three shelves to display coordinated groups of 'things' that are pretty that I have purchased here and there (mostly HomeGoods).

in my pantry, I have high end, locking containers for pasta, rice, etc. It is frankly, a pain to have them in the pantry, and it would be more convenient for them to be nearer to me.

Do you think from a staging perspective they should be in the pantry, or should I do a display on the shelves with the pasta, rice, etc

OR

does that kind of thing have limited appeal?

Oh, the shelves, look at the photo -- to the left of the window, there are now three very nice shelves.

post-10544-13535086087642_thumb.jpg

Beautiful kitchen! Are you staging to sell? Then I would probably leave as much things "put away" as possible. The less cluttered the better, though it's nice to have a few chatchkes here and there. I'd buy it! ;)

You are so nice! Yes, it goes on the market on wednesday - so I am staging to sell.

I think you are right -- I keep thinking of model homes I have been through and there is no clutter -- okay - a vote for keeping the pasta and rice in the panty.

For staging I would leave food in the pantry and pretty stuff on the shelves. The only way I'd move them would be to put them in something to hide that it's pasta.

My gut reaction when seeing a kitchen without upper cabinets is where do you put the food. Some people might not like the pasta on the shelf, a few reasons: 1. they might not have money to put nice containers or 2. it's just looks off to them. But if they see the food in the pantry they'll think your kitchen is gorgeous (which it is!) and that the pantry is ample storage.

I've staged two homes (mine) for sale, both sold within two weeks.

For staging I would leave food in the pantry and pretty stuff on the shelves. The only way I'd move them would be to put them in something to hide that it's pasta.

My gut reaction when seeing a kitchen without upper cabinets is where do you put the food. Some people might not like the pasta on the shelf, a few reasons: 1. they might not have money to put nice containers or 2. it's just looks off to them. But if they see the food in the pantry they'll think your kitchen is gorgeous (which it is!) and that the pantry is ample storage.

This. Plus the containers in the pantry will 'stage' the pantry well, too.

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Many blessings in your sale!

Don't put them out.

The more clean lines and visual space the better.

This. Plus the containers in the pantry will 'stage' the pantry well, too.

Your kitchen is gorgeous! Many blessings in your sale!

Thank you so much! That settles it for me. And, thanks for your kind words. Our former agent did not care for our home at all, and it made it so difficult. Our new agent (we bought the house from her three years ago) loves the house and everything we have done to it. I think it's great -- you are all so nice to be so kind.

I'll get the pantry in shape tomorrow.l:D

Thank you Mariann for posting this with the picture! I have been trying to work up the courage to nix the upper cupboards on the wall over the stovetop in my new kitchen plan. I will have a vent hood just like yours and this picture gave me just the push I needed!:D

Oh my! How funny, and I am glad to be of help. It took me FOREVER to convince dh that we were going to ditch the wall cabinets. We are so happy that we did....it totally opened up everything. If you look at the photo, there also was a wall that we took down as the kitchen and dining area were two separate rooms - two small dark rooms, so we took down the wall and the wall cabinets to open it all up. I still have more than enough storage because I put the deep drawers in the base and they are so functional. I also have found that I am not accumulating unnecessary 'stuff' because I know there is a limited amount of storage. Send photos after you do it.:)