Menu

Cheap Spiral Notebooks in Jan?

I just found out that I will have to step in to prep and teach a class to 1st/2nd graders at our local co-op starting in Feb. Fortunately, I have lesson plans from a class I developed and taught several years ago on Lewis & Clark. One of the activities I had them do was to make and keep a journal about what we learn about each week. When I taught this before, it was in the fall when I could take advantage of discounted back-to-school sales so I had them cover cheap spiral notebooks with paper grocery bags (all rumpled so it got soft like leather) and stitch the edges together with yarn. The kids really enjoyed making journals this way. But I can't find any cheap spiral notebooks this time of year -- I just can't pay $2 a piece for 15 notebooks when my total budget for the whole class is $50! I mean I still need to buy the Ivory soap to make dugout canoes, make copies of clipart for their journal entries, buy cardstock and brads to make jointed grizzly bears, buy aluminum foil to make Jefferson peace medals ... you get the point.

So where can I find cheap spiral notebooks this time of year? Or what other ideas do you have for making faux leather covered journals (cheap)? Yikes!

How many weeks is coop?

I would just make mini journals. Typing paper full size or cut in 1/2 or notebook paper.

Easy would be staple it with the grocery sack on the outside or you could tie with yarn or sinew or leather.

I would have a page per coop day and maybe a few extras.