Menu

Do you teach or watch other HS kids with your own?

With all the work at home threads lately, I have really been thinking about what I want to do and I am really ready to make a change with my job situation.

I am hoping to find two other kids (around the same age) as my girls to have at our house during school hours. I could set up the school day and be available to help or teach them all together and individually. We could set up field trips and other activities that they could do together. If they needed care after school, they could stay until their parents could pick up. I have a few people interested in homeschooling their kids but work full time. Since I want to be home and I want to teach, I thought this might be a good compromise.

Has anyone ever done this? What would you charge/pay for this kind of service per week?

I am also thinking that the child's parents would still be in charge of choosing the curriculum they think is best for their child and they would still need to be involved but I would do the day in and day out work of helping them and making sure they stay on task.

And, of course it helps them socially to have other kids around:001_smile:

Just thinking out loud - brainstorming information and ideas to see if I can make this work.

I would love to do this just because I think Autumn would benefit from having a classmate... you know, someone to talk about things with, have discussions with, bounce ideas off of.

That's what I thought. I have a 4th and 5th and I figure I could take in two kids and be able to handle the curriculum if they were around the same age. I could set up the day to work entirely around school - just like if you had a home day care but for big kids. It would be easier to do things without me having to go to work in the middle of the day as I do now. It would help them just as much as it would help me.

Now, how to put my plan into action? I would if there are any licensing type regulations that you would have to go through?

I have thought about doing something like this. I think the first place would be to look at your state regulations for private schools and in-home daycare. You would then know if you fall into either category, or things that you can/must not do if you don't want to fall into a specific category. Also, is this going to be 'on the books' or 'off'. And if it is all going to be legitimate, then you really need to follow all of the rules.

For me, where I live, I would probably structure it like a drop-off daycare, or like a 'mother's day out' program. Where you need permission slips, health papers, all that good stuff. But not serve food, make people bring their own and have a designated place if they want it to stay away from the health department regulations (which I find INSANE for a school or daycare and I do not think they are healthy). I thought about having specific 'lessons' where it would be up to the child/parent if they wanted to participate (but not my own kids ya know) but nothing mandatory and nothing that was ever suggested as anything more then enrichment for what ever kind of schooling the child was in.

What has stopped me so far is my HOA, they want NO home based businesses at all, and I have not asked our landlord because we are not really that serious about it. SO far I have only done child minding on the one off type basis, cash only, informal market.

Here, unless you are a degree holding, certified teacher, it is illegal to homeschool a child other than your own :glare:

That's what I thought. I have a 4th and 5th and I figure I could take in two kids and be able to handle the curriculum if they were around the same age. I could set up the day to work entirely around school - just like if you had a home day care but for big kids. It would be easier to do things without me having to go to work in the middle of the day as I do now. It would help them just as much as it would help me.

Now, how to put my plan into action? I would if there are any licensing type regulations that you would have to go through?

Here, unless you are a degree holding, certified teacher, it is illegal to homeschool a child other than your own :glare:

Okay, so maybe more like a day care but for older kids and they could do their school work. I would be like a tutor and not a teacher.

I am just trying to find a way to stay at home and do the homeschooling full time. Maybe drop-in and such would work too.

Thanks for the info.

I homeschool a friend's son. We are in Ca, so he is enrolled in a homeschool charter school and his mom is officially homeschooling him, I "tutor" him when he is at my house, which happens to be 4 days a week, his mom has him all day 1 day and works with him then (plus a special tutor for 1 hr.)

I pick all the curriculum, he is along for the ride, though I do try to pick things that will work for him, since he has some reading disabilities. I try to keep the mom informed on what I am using and why. She pays for his materials, but I also do a lot of combining, so I usually pay for that stuff. (the charter pays for some materials too.)

feel free to pm me for more specifics.

It is completely legal here to teach someone else's. But I would need them to be in my curriculum, at least for the content subjects, otherwise I couldn't see the point. I teach mine together for science, art, history, bible. I could not teach my lessons and theirs. But I could tutor them through their separate math and English lessons like I do my own.

For 2 years, I've been teaching the dd of a friend as well as my own dd. It's difficult at times because the girls are 4 grade levels apart; this year my dd is in 11th grade and my other student is in 7th. After my dd graduates, my plan is to have a small group (maybe 4) middle school girls--preferable the same grade level--to teach in my home.

Edited by ereks mom