Menu

drama and voice lessons...asd

So...my aspie asked me to put her in drama! I cant believe it. I am taking her tonight to try a class. I also have a friend there that has her daughter taking voice lessons as well....I know my daughter can sing nice but wont even let me hear her...but she is a little more open with kids her age. So yesterday I told her...Would you like to have singing lessons too? I'll give you a choice...singing or speech. LOL. She chose singing. I am going to try it and see if she will go.

Has anyone done these types of classes? I am willing to try anything to get her a little more involved in a group since the therapists around here are SO expensive.

Geezle sings in the church's children's choir and has had small parts in several hs group plays. He's going to be a pirate in Peter Pan this spring. He enjoys performing and does very well with a small part or as part of a group. I'd highly recommend giving it a try if your dd is interested.

I haven't (my son finds a lot of music really annoying and hates singing, and has some kind of moral issue with "pretending"--his highly imaginative sister drives him nuts). However, I have a friend whose son was in the jr. high drama club and evidently loved acting and was very good at it.

I'm not aspie, but being in theater and taking theater classes in college, just for the fun of it, honestly helped my speech control more than years of speech therapy seemed to. It was like being someone else gave me a way of controlling my body that I hadn't had before. I could easily see it working well for teaching an Aspie similar control of social situations, and maybe even how to "Read" body language and facial expressions.

That's great that she wants to do drama! My mildly aspie/adhd son has been in musical theater since about age 9, and he's 15 now. He loves theater. He's a drama king, and a musician, so it's been a very good experience. He has always gotten lead roles, and it has helped him learn to focus better, take direction, deal with peers, deal with competition (auditioning for leads) etc. His directors are phenomenal people, though, and totally committed to helping all kinds of kids enjoy and learn from the experience. Over the years there have been several special needs kids in different shows. No one is turned away. Hopefully your dd will have great instructors and enjoy her time :)

My Aspie loves to perform. He snuck on stage with his older brother for a children's choir event at church once, and he knew the song better than any of the older kids. He has low working memory and generally doesn't like to study anything, but he has always known his lines since he "debuted" on stage in second grade.

When we started homeschooling, the one thing he asked for was the chance to continue to do theater. He's doing great in it and continues to love it.

So for interested kids, I think it's worth a try. I know it's not something typically associated with Aspies, but that doesn't mean some Aspies don't love it.

Well...Drama did not work out! The class was full of 6-7 yo and my dd (10) felt like it was a baby class. The head lady told me it was her age..but she hated it. So...she was so mad when she came out. At least she went in, though.

Now I have to see if I can find another one that will let me try a class in the area that is reasonable. Otherwise, Drama is out the door.

One more thing, pleas please please inform the teachers of your daughter's needs. We have had so many parents not tell us their child had Aspergers. I used to work with a dance teaher who also helped develop and administer IEPs for the school district. She could identify some issues amd help us with in class coping strategies.

Now, my SIL's mother runs a special needs preschool. She helps us with strategies for dealing with kids. We have found that a lot of parents will tell us after we have had the kids in class for a year. Many times they are embarrassed or scared theory child will be teased. We don't tell the other kids amd we can prevent teasing by knowing how tohelp.

Most theatre/dance/gymnastics or other extra curricular teachers have no training in this area and no one to help. We need help from parents.