Menu

HOD RTR

MrsMe

I'm going to be ordering this soon as to get everything pre-read and tweaking planned.

For those who are using it can you tell me all you can about it?

How much time, is anything dry, loves, dislikes, neat stuff, what do I expect? (minus math, dictation, R&S) Can include medieval writing too.

I'll add a little more for clarity. There's Map Trek this year and the Girl/Boy Options as well. The Philippians 1 CD and wondering if it's better or the same as Phil 2 Cd.

Edited by alilac
clarity

I really like RtR. My boys, 12 and 13, are using it this year, and while they don't LOVE it, they do LIKE it. LOL. They don't like school period so this is a compliment. :) I don't think it takes a long time to complete and they are learning a lot. We cut out "most" of the crafts/projects simply b/c my boys are NOT artsty-craftsty at.all. I usually pre-read each Unit and decide whether we will or will not be doing the craft/project. And if so, we typically save it all for Friday instead of doing a little bit each day for 3 days. We don't use the IEW writing but have used one of the theme-based books in the past. Not my favorite for writing, but many love IEW. I love the book choices and boy devo. If you look on the HOD board, you can do a search for time spent per box in each Guide to give you a better idea how to plan.

LOL!

We're doing CTC and while we have some frustrating issues with time, I really can't beat how good HOD is. So, I thought earlier planning will be key. :)

How old are your kid(s) using CTC? Just curious. I think I read another post of yours about it taking so much time. Is it possible to pair it down some or do you really have to do it all? I guess I'm just curious if you could use it in a TOGish way. A buffet, where you can pick and choose instead of feeling you must do it all.

Just went to check and yes, I'm right, you did post about wanting to make the upper guides of HOD more relaxed. I'd love to hear what you come up with. :001_smile:

How old are your kid(s) using CTC? Just curious. I think I read another post of yours about it taking so much time. Is it possible to pair it down some or do you really have to do it all? I guess I'm just curious if you could use it in a TOGish way. A buffet, where you can pick and choose instead of feeling you must do it all.

Just went to check and yes, I'm right, you did post about wanting to make the upper guides of HOD more relaxed. I'd love to hear what you come up with. :001_smile:

Yes you are right. DD is 11, at the high end of the age range. There is a great thread on interaction on the forum, but the point is we do all that interaction, then we have 3-4 boxes left and are out of time which then makes you go, go, go the next day.:tongue_smilie: I hate not having those discussions, so unless it's not pertinent, I won't tell her to be quiet for the sake of time. She learns through discussions. HOD certainly does that. Unfortunately that extra discussion time is not built into the program. It is a 4-1/2 hour program using what they use and if you don't use those, then you'll go over on time. So that would be nice to change to have some time built in. Mostly likely it's because I can't pick and choose.

Since the time problems are fresh in my head, now's the time to remember the issues and plan accordingly. But as much as I lack that comfortable cozy pace and some more playful aspects, HOD is too good to not do it for that issue. I use different math, reading, english. So there's some of it. :D And geez, I feel like I'm the only one with time issues. Oh well, maybe so.:tongue_smilie:

I think the most challenging box for my boys is the Research box...but that is only on Day 1. It is also the most time consuming. We usually save this for Friday as well. :tongue_smilie: There really isn't anything else that is too challenging for them. Remember though, my boys are on the older end for RtR and we don't use extensions for ds13...yet. ;) My 12yo is very bright and also very independent. We skipped CtC this year b/c of where they both fell in the placement chart (and b/c we have already done Ancients...ad nauseum). My 13yo is also bright...but lazy and not a book lover. It's enough for him to read what is scheduled must less the extensions.

We also are enjoying RTR. I can't think of a book that has been a dud. The only thing I haven't liked is the IEW writing, which we have just dropped. We are on the younger side of the guide and also skip DITHOR and an occasional history project. The boy study books are done with Dad at a separate time. We do the Shakespeare option. And DS loves it!

I'm really liking the Map Trek mapping. They're beautiful little maps, go so well with the readings, not time-consuming, and fit right into the binder with the rest of his work.

With our plan, RTR takes us about 3 1/2 hours, no breaks, four days a week. We add piano and Spanish to our day, and do some different things on Fridays (in siggy). DS does a good portion of it independently, but I do enjoy sitting down with him when I can and getting involved too!

DS agrees that the research is tough but I love the skills he is learning in that box.

We are using this right now. My son is doing all of it, he is 11 but will be 12 in February. His hardest subject right now is math. My son thinks the hardest HOD box is language arts, but I am having him go full speed on the R&S 6 book and he is doing the IEW with a co-op. Day 4 Reading About History is also hard, he says...that is the written narration. He does just great with it, though!

I still love it. I am amazed how much I love it, because I was never content with any curriculum before this. We completed CtoC last year, and never even considered doing anything else because it was so awesome. We are using Rev to Rev next year. DD (9) is using Preparing, and she has REALLY grown a lot from the beginning of the year. She has progressed so well, increased her skill level in so many areas. I am really proud of her, of both of them. HOD has been a tremendous blessing to us!

ETA: we never managed to love the younger years of HOD...I never completed all of Little Hearts, Beyond, or Bigger, though we started all of them and used about half of each. I don't know if it was just my own inability to be content with any curriculum at that stage of my life, or the curriculum itself. But the years from Preparing and up have been awesome for us.

Edited by lovetobehome

ETA: we never managed to love the younger years of HOD...I never completed all of Little Hearts, Beyond, or Bigger, though we started all of them and used about half of each. I don't know if it was just my own inability to be content with any curriculum at that stage of my life, or the curriculum itself. But the years from Preparing and up have been awesome for us.

Wow, I LOVE your story! This is my struggle too! I can't figure out if I just don't really like the younger guides OR if it's me. The problem is USUALLY me. I don't love some aspect of something so I want to change. Often, I grow discontent. But, I find that my student (in this case it's my oldest using Bigger) doesn't complain about his work. He likes it :D. I've been trying different curricula and keep coming back to HOD. Whenever I use HOD with my oldest son we have the best school day!! Sigh. I don't know if it's HOD or if it's that we have a structure to the day.

I can't figure out if I just don't really like the younger guides OR if it's me.

For the record, I tried both LHTH and LHFHG and hated both. In retrospect, I tried LHTH with children that were too old for it (But not based on the placement chart). LHFHG......I just couldn't like to no matter how hard I tried. However, the upper guides look wonderful!

I think this is a wonderful point...that is, do not give up on a curriculum just because it doesn't work at one age level. One guide to the next is not the same for HOD (I also found this true for MFW:001_huh:).

I'm so glad to hear that you have enjoyed it. It gives me great encouragement to move forward with HOD for next year.

Thank you!!!

I think this is a wonderful point...that is, do not give up on a curriculum just because it doesn't work at one age level. One guide to the next is not the same for HOD (I also found this true for MFW:001_huh:).

I'm so glad to hear that you have enjoyed it. It gives me great encouragement to move forward with HOD for next year.

Thank you!!!

:iagree: This has me pondering deeply. I just love Preparing and want all of my kids to enjoy that guide!

We are using this right now. My son is doing all of it, he is 11 but will be 12 in February. His hardest subject right now is math. My son thinks the hardest HOD box is language arts, but I am having him go full speed on the R&S 6 book and he is doing the IEW with a co-op. Day 4 Reading About History is also hard, he says...that is the written narration. He does just great with it, though!

I still love it. I am amazed how much I love it, because I was never content with any curriculum before this. We completed CtoC last year, and never even considered doing anything else because it was so awesome. We are using Rev to Rev next year. DD (9) is using Preparing, and she has REALLY grown a lot from the beginning of the year. She has progressed so well, increased her skill level in so many areas. I am really proud of her, of both of them. HOD has been a tremendous blessing to us!

We also did not like LHTH or LHFHG. I am toying with trying Beyond. I think these guides seem "between levels." My son doesn't fit into LHFHG or Beyond, I dont want to do parts of each or go half speed. It gets too confusing with the Guide. My dd fits perfect in Preparing and it is the right amount of challenge. We look at the guide as "weekly" and not "daily" and she does the History project and Science experiment on Wednesdays with a friend after piano and then we switch the rest around the other days of the week, sometimes doubling up storytime, poetry, or rotating boxes, etc.

I do like the looks of the upper guides and while I briefly was freaking out about CTC and too much Bible I am over it because RTR looks amazing! I love to hear about the upper guides!

This has nothing to do with RTR :blushing:but just wanted to add that my boys and I are enjoying Beyond. They really look forward to our reading time together. I love all the little talks we have about what we are reading and Bible discussions. My boys are 7 and 9 though. Ethan just tunred 9 last week.

We just started Unit 4, so it's still new:001_wub:. I did own the younger guides three years ago but I didn't care for them. I think it was more me being busy with my other children though.

My 12 year old 7th grader is doing RTR 5 days a week right now and will move to Rev to Rev in just a few short weeks. Overall, we LOVE it. I love every part of it and think it is a really solid program and so very God-honoring. If I had to say one thing I didn't like in it, it was the Mr. Pipes book ...but those are optional and we just chose a different one. :)

The IEW writing is a wonderful extension of the WWTB that we did in CTC. Adding in Shakespeare study this year has been wonderful. Ds may disagree with me...but I love that he is reading and learning about it so early in his life.

As for things that are "hard" for my son or that he occasionally balks at: the paragraphs in Science and History once per week are a challenge because I make them that way. I am tough on him with the research box as well. He is in middle school and I won't take less than I think he is capable of doing.

My kids have really bloomed using HOD and those guides build upon one another beautifully. I do not, in any way, worry that they aren't getting a full and excellent education. I know they are! And on top of the academics, they have learned more about the Lord and His word by these ages than I knew when I graduated college. It is such a blessing to us all.

Great thread Ladies! I feel very encouraged because I also have had a hard time with the younger guides, I have tweaked them too much. I am so excited to starting CtC soon! The later guides just seem to have better book choices and I like that they have added Apologia Science. I also like the notebook pages.

Missy

FWIW, I was a career tweaker, LOL, but I don't tweak anything at all in HOD now, and I find the curriculum very rigorous AND very Christ-centered. I love the freedom of not tweaking, knowing it is all good and full and not worrying. I actually use my free time reading or doing other things now, instead of tailoring curriculum or researching it. How liberating!

I agree what someone said earlier about different levels in curriculum being different. I personally don't care for MFW older years anymore, though I loved K and 1st and just started using K for the third time, with my youngest. I plan to use MFW K and 1st with him, and at some point after that, move him into HOD.

My kids will be using HOD from Preparing up, though, with no plans to ever change. :-) SO HAPPY!

For the other posters, I didn't care for the younger levels either. Bigger was cool and they just got better. Really.

We had a great week this week and for once we are completely caught up. :DWhile we had some things that carried over from day to the next and we didn't having painting this week, we did finish it all. I had one day I had dd do "homework" for the sake that she dawdled. And I can safely say that because it's Thursday and for the first time we have nothing to catch up on tomorrow. Nothing! :001_huh:

Perhaps our issues was with our karate. I know we had to leave early for that and it removed about 3 hours from our week and it had to be added to Friday. But Friday was always full. If I think about it, that's a lot of time...a full day! 3 hours and a break is almost a full day of school. Duh! And we got in our reading program this week. So maybe I'm just a dork and didn't realize how much karate messed with our schedule!

I wonder too if the first half of CTC is harder. Story of the Ancient World was a longer/more difficult read than the other books and the Science is faster as we've finished Apologia. Apologia were long reads too. So it could be that too.

So yay for us! I'm glad our karate changed and I feel good that it's doable. We'll only do math and Rummy Roots tomorrow. :001_smile:

So I'm excitied about RTR. Frankly I haven't heard anything bad about RTR from anywhere. So I'm glad to hear everyone likes it! IEW is scaring me a bit. Looks teacher intensive.

That is really too funny about the younger guides! I didn't like them either! I found myself cringing when I took out LHFHG, but I kept trying b/c I wanted to like it. I really wanted to like it! But, I do like Beyond and Bigger...much better than LHFHG and I like Preparing better than either of those! AND, RtR is probably my favorite so far. I can't speak for CtC since we skipped it but I am really looking forward to Rev to Rev next year!

This thread is a hoot! :lol:

So for all of the Mamas who don't love the younger guides what do you do with your youngers until you're ready to put them in a HOD guide? :001_smile: MFWK is popular for pre-K or K but after that I'm stumped....

Edited by abrightmom

We flounder around and try every OTHER curriculum that is out there, until we come back to HOD and breathe a sigh of relief! :-)

I honestly don't know what I will do next time...I liked MOH a lot, that was fun. I might try Ages of Grace. But my youngest is just beginning MFW K now, so I have some time. I will probably do MFW 1st or at least the phonics portion of it, I loved that little Bible reader and the memory verses ... after that, not sure.

I wonder too if the first half of CTC is harder. Story of the Ancient World was a longer/more difficult read than the other books

:iagree:

YES! We just moved to Ancient Greece and it is soooo much better!!! The history spine has easier language and draws dd into it much more! I've been reading it as well and really have enjoyed it. Dd told me yesterday that she wanted to vacation in Greece because it sounded so beautiful! I can't think of a better compliment for a history book then one that draws in a child so much that they want to be at the location. :001_smile:

YES! We just moved to Ancient Greece and it is soooo much better!!! The history spine has easier language and draws dd into it much more! I've been reading it as well and really have enjoyed it. Dd told me yesterday that she wanted to vacation in Greece because it sounded so beautiful! I can't think of a better compliment for a history book then one that draws in a child so much that they want to be at the location. :001_smile:

I LOVE this book. I agree it's written wonderfully!

Is IEW scheduled in RtR difficult to implement or is it that you haven't enjoyed it? I'm wondering why so many have dropped it.

I'm doing CTC. Next year we do RTR with IEW scheduled. So my question also is bolded....

Back to the younger guides and what to do after MFW K (which we love)....FIAR! I find that taking a year to just explore and read and not have to follow a curriculum persay is just what we need at that age!

:001_smile::001_smile: This is a great idea.

Edited by abrightmom

For early years: I'm planning on just doing my own thing like a pp said, and not worrying about following a curriculum. There WILL be lots of reading, narration, copywork, and dictation. I'm looking at the Classical Writing Primer for second or third grade, and adding in the Sentence Family for grammer. I think that will be excellent prep for HoD.

Math will prob be Miquon or Singapore; history and science will be casual and using living books. I have All Through the Ages and will prob utilize that a bit. I want plenty of time to have fun, do art, field trips, etc.

As far as IEW's Medieval writing lessons, they just seemed too scattered and poorly laid out, too technical, and DS didn't seem to be getting enough benefit for the effort he put in. It may be his age. Like I mentioned earlier, he is on the younger side of the guide (just turned 11).

In lieu of IEW, I'm planning on having DS do a workbook on outlining, and then some writing lessons by Ruth Beechick in one of her books.

As far as IEW's Medieval writing lessons, they just seemed too scattered and poorly laid out, too technical, and DS didn't seem to be getting enough benefit for the effort he put in. It may be his age. Like I mentioned earlier, he is on the younger side of the guide (just turned 11).

In lieu of IEW, I'm planning on having DS do a workbook on outlining, and then some writing lessons by Ruth Beechick in one of her books.

I have the sample, read it once and couldn't wrap my brain around it. Thought maybe because I had brain fry. Maybe not.:001_huh:

I'll look at it again. And FWIW writing is NOT my thing.