Menu

7th Grade Math Idea

I'm planning to use Videotext for Algebra with dd10 when she gets there. I'm not sure I want her to start it in 7th grade. I'm thinking of starting in 8th so she can get highschool credit for it.

For 7th, I am considering using Mathematics, A Human Endeavor by Harold Jacobs (of Jacobs Algebra fame) combined with the grade 7 gold worksheets from Math Mammoth.

Thoughts?

Tara

Will your dd be doing prealgebra in 6th? Or are you thinking about using this book instead of a prealgebra? My thoughts: I would not be afraid to start algebra in 7th if you find that your student is ready at that time (and then you have the luxury of taking your time through the course). I'd think the MM prealgebra worksheets would be redundant if your student already took prealgebra in 6th, unless you're looking for review.

I'd also take a close look at the grade level for which the Jacobs book is recommended - I have an older version of the book, and for the life of me I cannot figure out the level for which it was intended, lol. Chapters include logarithms and drawing curves (parabola, hyperbola, sine, etc.). Certainly it looks like a fun book, though I'd think a strong prealgebra would be a necessary foundation at a minimum.

Another, similar sort of book is Crossing the River With Dogs, though there too there are level issues - for some reason I believe there may be an older version written more for middle school, and a different newer version, written for late high school/college.

I like the MM7 worksheets, have dd doing them right now. I got the Jacobs ME text through the library, have it right now in fact, but it's sort of funky, like Wapiti said, just all over the board. I'm not sure when it would fit dd. I suggest you get it and preview first.

I got Crossing the River with Dogs to try with my dd, but I got a few blank looks when I first tried it. It's really awesome, but I was waiting for the green light to turn on. It's inexpensive to pick up and save for when it looks right.

MM lists a whole bunch of suggested pre-algebra texts on their website. The first portion of videotext is essential pre-algebra, right?

Will your dd be doing prealgebra in 6th?

She will work all the way through MM6B, and I have read many times that students who finish start algebra. I was planning to use the MM7 worksheets as pre-algebra/review of arithmetic and the MHE text as an extension.

I'd also take a close look at the grade level for which the Jacobs book is recommended

I have read that it could be used with students as young as 6th grade.

I suggest you get it and preview first.

I have it from the library right now, and I like it a lot. I wasn't planning to use it as a particular course but more as an interesting way to use math.

The first portion of videotext is essential pre-algebra, right?

Yes.

Another possibility is using Mathematics for Junior High School from the School Mathematics Study Group.

Tara

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but... why would a course taken in 7th grade not count for high school credit, but a course taken in 8th grade would?

My oldest two kids have both taken high school courses in 7th grade (such as Algebra 1) and I counted it for high school credit. Did I do something wrong there?

why would a course taken in 7th grade not count for high school credit, but a course taken in 8th grade would?

An 8th grade course wouldn't count, either. But since the first module of VideoText is pre-algebra, if my dd started VT in 8th grade, she wouldn't finish it until some time in 9th, and I'd count it as a high school credit.

My understanding is that high school courses taken in middle school count toward graduation requirements but do not count toward high school credit requirements.

So if a kid needs three math credits to graduate, and takes Algebra 1 in 7th and Geometry in 8th, that child still needs to take 3 high school math classes for credit. To me, that sets up a kid to have to take really high level math classes when they might not want to.

Tara

An 8th grade course wouldn't count, either. But since the first module of VideoText is pre-algebra, if my dd started VT in 8th grade, she wouldn't finish it until some time in 9th, and I'd count it as a high school credit.

My understanding is that high school courses taken in middle school count toward graduation requirements but do not count toward high school credit requirements.

So if a kid needs three math credits to graduate, and takes Algebra 1 in 7th and Geometry in 8th, that child still needs to take 3 high school math classes for credit. To me, that sets up a kid to have to take really high level math classes when they might not want to.

Tara

Actually, I think it varies--I know here in ps, both the grade and the credit count, for Algebra in 8th OR 7th grade. Dd has an opportunity to take Algebra in 7th grade if she tests high enough on the Iowa Algebra Apptitude Test (IAAT) and passes her state test high enough. We'll know if she's ready, but I think we are homeschooling next year, anyway.

But it certainly may depend on the school district/state.