Menu

Does anyone use HOD just for the history component?

bethanyjoy

I really like the look of HOD's history, but I'm not so sure about the other parts. I know this sounds crazy, but do any of you only use HOD for history and then do your own thing for the other subjects? I know many people use their own math and LA programs (and sometimes science), but what about everything else?

Thanks,

Bethany

Glad I'm not the only one who's thought of doing this! I was actually going to use the history and bible portions, but then after a couple days of mulling it over, I decided not to. I would have basically ignored the entire right side of the guide. So now I *think* I'm going to TOG next year instead. :)

In some ways that is what we are doing this year. (My 3rd grader and my 1st grader are combined in Beyond) We were already using R&S grammar and spelling for 3rd grade, but we do Abeka for math, phonics etc. for both grades. We are using Pentime handwriting instead of HOD's copywork. We use HOD's poetry, but it only takes a minute each day. We don't spend much time on the Bible portion except for going over the verse each day and having our own discussion and application. (My dh does his own Bible with them at night)

For storytime, we just read through the book list and discuss what genre each book is and do our own narration. But I don't follow all of the instructions in the guide.

The only subject we actually follow closely in the guide is history. We're take it or leave it for science since we do additional reading on our own in that area. We have used the timeline and map activities and any other "crafts" that look like they would fit us. I find I'm using the TM as a guide...literally. I just look at the lesson plans for ideas and to keep me on a schedule, and tweak it to fit our needs.

Exactly what KeriJ said.

8 yo is using Bigger's history and 7 yo is finishing up Little Hearts history and onto Beyond's history. Both are early American history so everything flows well if they want to listen in on each other's readings.

We use HOD's spelling, dictation and are enjoying Bigger's poetry. 8yo enjoys Bigger's timeline as well. We use Singapore Math and do HOD's math activities as the kids really enjoy them.

We enjoy many of their read-aloud suggestions too, but don't follow the storytime box exactly. It's more of a "This is a biography. Can you define?"

For 8 yo's Science we do Bigger's readings as he enjoys them, but not necessarily all the experiments. If it looks enjoyable we do, if not ... We don't do 7 yo's Science as we're working through BFSU.

And I've said "enjoy" way too many times ... :)

HTH.

I love the looks of HOD's history from K on up. But my 3 and 4 year old are already beyond the work in LHFHG so I have been wondering how to just use the history and bible. I don't have a huge budget and I have to use less than half a curriculum for that cost.

Thank you all for your help. I'm glad to hear that doing bits and pieces of HOD could work. I'll have to think of this some more...

After reading your responses, it seems like most of you do this with the younger guides. Do you all think that it would be harder to just use the history (and maybe some of the Bible) in the older guides?

Thanks,

Bethany

I really like the look of HOD's history, but I'm not so sure about the other parts. I know this sounds crazy, but do any of you only use HOD for history and then do your own thing for the other subjects? I know many people use their own math and LA programs (and sometimes science), but what about everything else?

Thanks,

Bethany

I tried that for a while but it turned out that history was taking entirely too long. Keep that in mind while you research. How many minutes a day do you want to spend on history? It might be just right for you, but it's something to look for.

ETA: I'm thinking of CtC and Rev 2 Rev with my above comments. If you do the state history and the music history with Rev 2 Rev along with the other history, Oh, momma! It takes FOREVER!

Edited by silliness7

We started out the year doing almost exactly what KeriJ is doing. It was working just fine except *I* became sooo tired of the pilgrims (we had wrapped up the year before with 9 wks of pilgrims, and Beyond studies pilgrims for the first 10 weeks or so) that we had to put it aside. I am still thinking about using Preparing this way. I am not sure how it would work with the older guides.