Menu

So they really do that in middle school and high school?!

I'm with Rainefox. I want my kids to know about stupid people, especially those with charisma, before they get to college. I want them to think for themselves before they act and to understand bias. I want them to know the signs of mental illness and of abuse. Youth group and school have plenty of opportunity to interact with these people and figure out their deal as well as how to react to it. That translates into adults who can be proactive.

So being enrolled in public school is the only place to learn these lessons?

The cons totally outweigh the pros you mentioned. There are enough dysfunctional delinquent people in my family for my kids to learn about stupid people and they get plenty of practice to know how to react to it during holidays. If you ask me sending them to public school is abuse.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got off the phone with my BFF who still works at the high school in Detroit that I left. Just this past week she walked into the bathroom and caught a girl performing oral sex on a boy.

When I was there it happened frequently. I caught some kids having a threesome underneath the bleachers in the gym. I took a sawed-off shotgun away from a 7th grader. I have broken up more fights than I can count including putting kids in a headlock. One of my students shot and killed another one of my students at a football game. One of my students threw her desk out the window smashing glass everywhere. I've been threatened by gang members and I have been assaulted by students.

yes it really is that bad.

Wow. I feel so sorry for kids whose lives are like that all the time.

I teach former public schoolers in a private school. I worked in public schools (running the before and after school programs). I provided before/afterschool care for public schoolers at home. I counseled at risk teens (99.8% of whom had been in public Jr. High and High Schools at some point) from May until December. My DH was a public school bus driver.

I vote for "it happens" but is greatly exaggerated. It's like the telephone game. The truth, and the magnitude of that truth, gets obscured in the repeated story telling - and especially so depending on the perspective of the tellers.

Oh, and my friend teaches in the worst high school in Houston. She has stories.

I vote for "it happens" but is greatly exaggerated. It's like the telephone game. The truth, and the magnitude of that truth, gets obscured in the repeated story telling - and especially so depending on the perspective of the tellers.

Oh, and my friend teaches in the worst high school in Houston. She has stories.

So are your friend's stories exaggerated?

How do you exaggerate performing oral sex on a fellow student? I mean I'm just asking??

So are your friend's stories exaggerated?

How do you exaggerate performing oral sex on a fellow student? I mean I'm just asking??

The amount of time spent discussing the incident(s) misrepresents the frequency of the events. It skews the accuracy of the perception of what public schools are like. (very much like the actual risk of stranger abuction of children vs. actual risk).

If you are pre-inclined to believe/see the worst in public schools (and I have been there), it's likely you'll hear these stories throught a different filter.

My oldest son went to one of th worst high schools in the area. It was, using urban slang, "ghetto." He tried cigarettes while there. But the worst thing that happened was that the 9th grade Language Arts teacher used the Urban slang version of Romeo and Juliet to teach Shakespeare.

THAT was tragic.

The amount of time spent discussing the incident(s) misrepresents the frequency of the events. It skews the accuracy of the perception of what public schools are like. (very much like the actual risk of stranger abuction of children vs. actual risk).

If you are pre-inclined to believe/see the worst in public schools (and I have been there), it's likely you'll hear these stories throught a different filter.

My oldest son went to one of th worst high schools in the area. It was, using urban slang, "ghetto." He tried cigarettes while there. But the worst thing that happened was that the 9th grade Language Arts teacher used the Urban slang version of Romeo and Juliet to teach Shakespeare.

THAT was tragic.

The only thing, and it prompted me to ask you all, was that at a "good school" there were 2 incidents in 1 week of oral sex in the hallway. In the same week the mom I spoke with had seen 2 different texts to her daughter asking if she wanted to buy "prescription drug name". That is what was shocking to me was that this was all in 1 week at a "good school".

That is why I was thinking, "what the heck?!" This mom I spoke with was outraged and did contact the school and said yes, speaking to other moms this is a problem there and was told "everywhere". I don't necessarily believe that at all. I think it may be worse at some schools then others, but have to believe it is happening at every school to some extent (maybe some other horrible behaviour). Would this one thing I heard make me base my sole decision of homeschooling or not? Of course not. It is not what I want to hear, but it is something I am now glad I am aware of. If kids are willing to do this type of behaviour in a "supervised" setting, makes you wonder what these kids would do in an unsupervised setting. Thank you all for this discussion. Good to know to just open my eyes more and be more prepared for what my kids may have to face and deal with. We just spoke about this today in our church group - we can try and give our kids the tools they need to make good decisions in society - I just don't want them tryinig to make decisions in sixth grade (if I can help it).