Menu

Job interview and homeschooling

I have an interview next week for a part time professional position. This is my first interview since starting to homeschool and I am really unsure about whether to mention homeschooling or not. Generally when I tell people (friends & some family) that I am looking for a job, the question always comes down to how I could work and homeschool at the same time. They seem to think the kids would be neglected somehow. Most of the job hours would be during the evening or when my husband is home, but there will be some during the "school day". Does anyone have experience on mentioning homeschooling during an interview and how it impacts getting a job position?

Edited by oldskool
clarity

Don't mention it. As someone who has interviewed and hired extensively, I can tell you that it will only invite questions as to your ability to be available for work (whether those questions are fair or not). IMO you have nothing to gain by mentioning it, but it can potentially hurt your chances.

Don't mention it. As someone who has interviewed and hired extensively, I can tell you that it will only invite questions as to your ability to be available for work (whether those questions are fair or not). IMO you have nothing to gain by mentioning it, but it can potentially hurt your chances.

Good to know. I guess that is true about gaining nothing, but maybe losing out.

Don't mention homeschooling.

However, they may ask what you did during the gap in employment. You can simply say that you've been raising children and are now ready to head back into the workforce, but be aware that any response you give that mentions that you're a parent will inevitably open up further questions, such as

Will you need to leave early to pick them up from school?

Will you need time off if children are home sick?

Will you be able to work hours past schooltime?

Etc. etc.

These are perfectly legal questions to ask, and all will likely come from the assumption that your children are in school. You will need to think carefully about how you answer these questions. Simple is best. Yes. No. Offer no details. Don't get chatty in this line of questioning. Save the chatty for discussing your excellent qualifications and abilities.

Don't mention homeschooling.

However, they may ask what you did during the gap in employment. You can simply say that you've been raising children and are now ready to head back into the workforce, but be aware that any response you give that mentions that you're a parent will inevitably open up further questions, such as

Will you need to leave early to pick them up from school?

Will you need time off if children are home sick?

Will you be able to work hours past schooltime?

Etc. etc.

These are perfectly legal questions to ask, and all will likely come from the assumption that your children are in school. You will need to think carefully about how you answer these questions. Simple is best. Yes. No. Offer no details. Don't get chatty in this line of questioning. Save the chatty for discussing your excellent qualifications and abilities.

The questions cannot be legally asked in this manner of using terms of parental duties or children. They have to be asked in a general sense such as: "Do you have any responsibilities that could prevent you from meeting the work schedule?" and it would have to be asked of all the applicants. My husband pointed out that no one asks these questions to men.