Menu

Engaging Christian Stories or Materials?

I'm trying to figure out how to engage my highly imaginative, right brain child in spiritual matters.

He loves things like the short stories on StoryNory and anything imaginative. He spends his whole day pretending, writing stories, and exploring ideas through his imagination. Whatever "grabs him" he mulls through pretend but I feel like my spiritual instruction isn't engaging him. He doesn't sit still for long things without pictures (so Lamplighter books I've tried aren't working well).

I found a clip of Veggie Tales tonight on youtube and he loved that and went to bed talking about sharing and God. I'm thinking of Betty Lukens flannel things? I can't find short Christian stories audio or otherwise. I'm thinking maybe someone would know of something I've not discovered.

The Beginner's Bible is great for that age! Any picture bible would be appealing, but in particular, we like that one at my house.

If you want a picture Bible that is more of a translation than a paraphrase, you might look at the Read With Me Bible (NIRV) (the older version is NIV).

When your vsl gets older, try Lion Graphic Bible or Action Bible (these are more comic-booky).

Veggie Tales have tons of videos and dvds out. Heroes of the Bible is good, Esther is good. Almost all of them are good.

I have a blog post of our favorite Christian picture book and devotionals here. I agree with Max Lucado. Some others that may interest your ds include His Mighty Warrior, Five Minute Devotions for Children, or What is God Like? My descriptions of those resources are included in the blog post.

Another thought is Long Story Short. It does not contain pictures, but you can look inside the book at the above link to get a feel for it. It includes short easy attention-getting activities that may help to capture intrigue. Here is a

about the book.

Another thought might be putting books aside for a while and doing something like Movie Nights.

The Jesus Storybook Bible is great - cool art and great audio cd too.

The Chronicles on Narnia are an great choice. Books or audiobooks, not the movies.

My 1st grader loves Hero Tales by Dave and Neeta Jackson.

The Torchlighters videos are good - preview as most have some intense/serious parts. 30 minutes, animated about missionaries or other Christian heroes.