Menu

My 8yrs old daughter still makes o's backwards

Is she right handed or left handed? Was she late to determine her dominant hand?

If she is right handed and makes her o's in a clockwise manner, you may want to see if she is able to write left handed as well. Writing o's clockwise using your left hand is perfectly acceptable.

Not at all a lefty. She does a lot of other squirely things that PS never corrected. I told her many times in the past to write the O correctly but now that I homeschool her I can really work on it. Is it worth correcting? Writing t's, i's and b and d's are all written in strange order. We have Handwriting without tears but doesn't seem to change things.

I need to watch her to be sure she and her sisters are righting correctly.

Some handwriting programs teach it going from right to left instead of the other way around. I remember it from subbing in K. Are you going to do cursive? That is kind of hard to do out of order...do the printed letters look normal and neat and she recognizes them? SHe just writes them out of order but it doesn't take too long? If so, I would let it go probably but I have to pick my battles and handwriting is not usually one of them:D

I could be wrong of course :tongue_smilie:

My 5 year old daughter has this habit, and it took a lot of persistance to have her not do so, even though I've been on her case about it since we started preschool at home last year. I have to sit with her and stop her each time, and it's only now, halfway through K, that she's doing it right more often than wrong. It's tough, because I also have to correct her free drawing in order to break the habit. Honestly, if your dd is like mine, the PS system never stood half a chance :)

I think what I'd do in your case is stop with printing and do cursive. That requires doing o's in the right direction without you having to be a terrible nag. I'd do that for a year, then retrain on printing if I felt it necessary. (I don't think it would be.. writing is fine for most things, and the computer is good for the rest.)

I'd just leave it be, if it is a nice looking letter. Why does it matter? :)

My 5yo writes his d's and b's from the top down and circled at the bottom without lifting his pencil up - drives me crazy, but he NEVER accidentally switches b with d (which his 7yo brother does all the time still)... so I just leave it alone! :D

I agree with the others. I would let it slide for now and maybe get her started on cursive.

My DD is also 8 and has a few handwriting oddities. I kept putting off cursive because I was trying to get her printing better. Finally I just gave up. Starting cursive has been helpful because she is excited to learn it, and I can be a bit pickier from the beginning about her letter formation. What she produces with cursive is much better than all her previous printing.

I'd just leave it be, if it is a nice looking letter. Why does it matter? :)

My 5yo writes his d's and b's from the top down and circled at the bottom without lifting his pencil up - drives me crazy, but he NEVER accidentally switches b with d (which his 7yo brother does all the time still)... so I just leave it alone! :D

:iagree: