Menu

Another Lial's Question if you can stand it :)

I got the 8th Edition "Beginning Algebra" through interlibrary loan. Son is scoring around 91% for the first couple of lessons. He is finding the lessons someone confusing on certain things, though.

I know there is another series/format for this curriculum; is the other easier for the student to understand?

I am finding that I am just not a good teacher at this level. Are the DVT's worth it for Lial's?

I saw Jann's previous thread with ISBN's, but before I order, I wanted to make double sure that the one I get is the easiest for the student to understand.

*I am so stressed about hs math.* :001_huh:

This is our 2nd year using Lial's Math. Last year Ds used BCM. This year for Algebra 1 he is using Introductory Algebra 8th edition. I *think* Beginning Algebra is a different Lial's text. ISBN is 0-321-27921-2. He finds the instructions and examples mostly easy to follow, though sometimes I have to jump in to clarify.

ETA: So far, I don't feel a need for the DVTs. I've only used the solutions manual once. I find the lessons so clear, that I am able to teach from them if Ds needs more explanation -- and my strength is English/LA, not math.

http://interactmath.com/home.aspx

this site was great to look over the books...it has the online work when you click enter. I have Basic College Math, 7e which is prealgebra and I have Beginning Alg. 10e (blue) I bought both on amazon for like 5.00 or so. Very cheap. You just have to be careful because I realized those books have some items that are books and others that are workbooks or just pages under the same listing.

I got the 8th Edition "Beginning Algebra" through interlibrary loan. Son is scoring around 91% for the first couple of lessons. He is finding the lessons someone confusing on certain things, though.

I know there is another series/format for this curriculum; is the other easier for the student to understand?

I am finding that I am just not a good teacher at this level. Are the DVT's worth it for Lial's?

I saw Jann's previous thread with ISBN's, but before I order, I wanted to make double sure that the one I get is the easiest for the student to understand.

Do you happen to have a link for that thread from Jann?

Do you happen to have a link for that thread from Jann?

This is the post I have saved. Also, once you hav ethe actual student text, the ISBNs for DVTs, Solutions, etc. are all listed on the back cover.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148238&highlight=lials+bcm+algebra

You don't have to be stressed about math, especially if you are using Lial's. My dd used Introductory Algebra, 8th ed. last year. I worked through it with her. In high school, I never took anything harder than algebra--that was 30+ years ago, and I still was able to figure out Lial's without difficulty.

I did not use the DVTs, so I would say they are not worth it. If dd had trouble, I encouraged her to use the (free!)website www.interactmath.com that works through each of the lessons. It would show, step by step, how to work an identical problem. All the student had to do was plug in their own numbers.