Menu

TeacherFileBox from Evan Moor?

$70 for one year, is it worth having? I talked to a lady today and it was a bit confusing. If I want to use their Geography or LA worksheets is it ONLY to supplement another curriculum? Is it just bits and pieces of info or can they "learn" with these worksheets?

She was very adamant that these are just supplemental items, you don't have access to full books yet it has a deal for setting up lesson plans?

Not sure this is making sense.....I don't have a "geography" curriculum for like the younger kids but I would like them to learn some things..

Any ideas on what all you get and if it is worth it?

Thanks!

Kim

I have TFB and we use it for Geography and love it. I just pick the book I want (on the TFB website I just click on the EVAN MOOR logo at the top to open that site to browse) and print off all the pieces to that book. For Geography this year, we are only using Evan Moor Beginning Geo and Daily Geo and it is working great - no other cirriculum. It has been worth it for us.

Hmm... I think so, but it depends what you use. If it's JUST a geography book or a math book, I'd say no. (we use the beginning Geography, but I don't love it)

On the other hand, if you're planning to use the History Pockets, Literature Pockets or other things, it might be.

I bought through Homeschool Buyers' Co-op (if you click the link, I get a credit if you buy it! :-)) a while ago and have used the site quite a bit. (like pp's, I use the main Evan-Moor site, because the TFB site is so tough to search!)

Right now, we're doing:

- Daily Word Problems (math)

- Daily Science (intermittently)

- A Word a Day (Grade 3, bc the Grade 1 words were too boring for my dd!)

- History Pockets (bought in hard copy, but SOoo much better digitally)

We started doing, but dropped:

- Daily Language Review

- Daily 6-Trait Writing (but I hope to pick it up again)

- Daily Geography

We also used and enjoyed the Nursery Rhymes Literature Pockets and I hope to do the Caldecott Literature Pockets as well.

I felt like some of the daily stuff was twaddle, some was worthwhile. Go through the site and be honest with what you NEED. If you have already purchased a lot of curriculum, it might not be worth $70 for "extras". If you feel like there are lots of gaps, and you enjoy ready-made curriculum and worksheets, this might be just what you need.

I felt it was a better value than abcteach, and perhaps better than EnchantedLearning, for what that's worth.

So let me get this straight.....you buy a membership and you get unlimited access to every book EvanMoor has, in digital form, for an entire year?

I just bought a History Pockets book and I think the Daily Editing book I bought was EvanMoor, too. I could have purchased this membership and got all of these books and more?

So let me get this straight.....you buy a membership and you get unlimited access to every book EvanMoor has, in digital form, for an entire year?

I just bought a History Pockets book and I think the Daily Editing book I bought was EvanMoor, too. I could have purchased this membership and got all of these books and more?

:iagree:This is my question too. I'd actually like to try out several of the various EvanMoor pubs...this might be the way to do it.

Thanks for all the replies...okay...so if I wanted something for geography you won't "get started" in a book and not be able to finish that book right? I read somewhere that you don't get the entire book. I know you don't get the entire book all at once but once you are done with a section you can go to the very next section till the end?

So...if you find a book you like you do have access to the whole book not just all in one printing?

The lady I talked from EM was well...I was totally confused..it is making more sense now!

Kim

P.S. I would use for Pre K, K, 2nd , 4th, 6th...I would use many grade levels as I have 5 kids that could benefit from this stuff!

Thanks for all the replies...okay...so if I wanted something for geography you won't "get started" in a book and not be able to finish that book right? I read somewhere that you don't get the entire book. I know you don't get the entire book all at once but once you are done with a section you can go to the very next section till the end?

So...if you find a book you like you do have access to the whole book not just all in one printing?

The lady I talked from EM was well...I was totally confused..it is making more sense now!

Kim

P.S. I would use for Pre K, K, 2nd , 4th, 6th...I would use many grade levels as I have 5 kids that could benefit from this stuff!

I'm pretty sure all of Beginning Geo is there. It's just broken into "units." Nearly any e-page you can see on the Evan-Moor site is available to print through TFB. Look through the EM site and decide if it's worth it to you...was for us. :tongue_smilie:

Also' date=' it's supposed to be set up that you have to print them, but if you have a pdf printer set up on your computer, you could very easily save anything as a pdf... and then use it on your tablet if you have one (or something like that :lol: )[/quote']

I have a PDF printer, but it saves everything as "images" within a PDF, so you can't copy / paste text, search within files or resize the text on an ereader. I imagine it would be slightly easier on a tablet, but not fully "digital", if you know what I mean.

• 4 weeks later...

I've found it useful for my "worksheety" kid. I keep binders for her with activities to do independently, and can vary what's in there quite easily as far as being seasonal, changing the difficulty level, and so on, via EM. I'm sure I could find similar resources online free, but it's SO nice having them in one place!

I'm looking into TeacherFileBox. Are you limited by how much you can download? I'm particularly wondering about the monthly subscription.

:lurk5: Don't want this to get lost because I'd like to know too! I didn't see anything on the website about the monthly being unlimited.. but i didn't see anything about it being limited either:).. I don't need a lot but I'd join for a month to see if I'd use it.. but not if it was limited.

:bigear:

Don't know anything about the monthly, but looking at the site, it doesn't look like there's a limitation.

There IS, however, a clause that says you may not use the materials beyond the expiration of your membership, even if you have printed them and still have them lying around (you are supposed to destroy them) and you are CERTAINLY never supposed to print them off with a PDF printer and save them on your hard drive for future years.

If I were you, however (and I was, a number of months ago), I would get the annual membership through HSBC. At $70, it's cheaper than 6 months of the monthly membership.

• 1 month later...

:auto:BUMP!

I was just looking at a bunch of books at the teaching store today and trying to figure out the best way to maximize my very limited amount of money. I looked at Scholastic's Teacher Express, and it looks like the $1 sale they were having yesterday is over today. :(

But a bunch of the books I looked at today were from Evan Moor. Several of them included transparencies, which I have no need for, but which made the cost of the book much more expensive. As I sat here contemplating my options, I remembered this thread!

I'm sure the special is over ( I think it was just for January, but I'm going to go look), but I just might try the monthly subscription, at least for now. We'll see if I'll actually use any of these books. All I know is my middle son is finished with one of his workbooks and I need to replace it. It sure would be nice to make some of those Take To Your Seat games, too!

So BUMP! as I think outloud on the boards here for no apparent reason! :D