Menu

I just had to explain to a high school principal that my daughter doesn't belong to h

:grouphug: I'm sorry you are having a hard time w/ the principal. This is one reason we pulled out kids out of ps. I got really tired of school officials thinking that they had control or "power" over me & my kids!!! Thank you very much for your hard work at trying to provide an education for my children, but the are just that, MY children which means I make the decisions!

I marked things through before signing my dd's handbook this year. I even sent in a signed letter regarding the corporal punishment section and it said they weren't to use it under any circumstance with her. I never heard anything so I don't even know if anyone checks. I kept copies though.

I called the school again today, I keep seeing this "handbook" I have no clue what you guys are talking about. The principla himself told me the handbooks were not ready to hand out at parent/student orientation. There had been an error with the printing and weeks later the homeroom teachers were given them to hand out.

Well my daughters teacher never did. She "forgot". That book also contained the calendar when said make up days were listed. So I never got any book, I never signed any paper so in my opinion I never agreed to anything. This goes back to my daughter didn't have an algebra book until the 2nd nine weeks because they couldn't be located to hand out.

Did you register her for school? My guess is you agreed to abide by the school's policies then. I suppose the school could just give her a zero on her test. That is well within their rights.

I called the school again today, I keep seeing this "handbook" I have no clue what you guys are talking about. The principla himself told me the handbooks were not ready to hand out at parent/student orientation. There had been an error with the printing and weeks later the homeroom teachers were given them to hand out.

Well my daughters teacher never did. She "forgot". That book also contained the calendar when said make up days were listed. So I never got any book, I never signed any paper so in my opinion I never agreed to anything. This goes back to my daughter didn't have an algebra book until the 2nd nine weeks because they couldn't be located to hand out.

Now this is important. It gives you legal leverage to be certain you can get make up tests for your daughter as you can legally say you didn't know the policy.

It sounds like you're in a rather crummy district, but in any event, you'll get better results by being nice rather than argumentive. I'd only switch to argumentive if they get firm on not offering the opportunities for the test. Even then I wouldn't resort to higher pitch or off colored words (not saying you do either), but I would probably state rather matter of factly that I wasn't aware of their pre-arranged absence policy due to not getting a handbook. I will know for next time, but in the meantime, my daughter deserves an opportunity to take these tests - and offer to get legal support if needed. Calm, cool, firm.

I hope it works for you!

To some, however, this could be discriminatory. What if you don't have insurance? Rarely do we visit the doctor, usually not for something running as little as three days. Obviously our issue, but I don't think three days is a magic number whereby visiting a doctor will justify your illness.

There are free and low costs clinics around here. If needed, that's what people do. A few opt to send their student to school and let the nurse send them home.

I marked things through before signing my dd's handbook this year. I even sent in a signed letter regarding the corporal punishment section and it said they weren't to use it under any circumstance with her. I never heard anything so I don't even know if anyone checks. I kept copies though.

I wasn't aware that there were any states left where corporal punishment was still legal. One learns something new everyday!

:iagree:

While that is very sad, the school should have provided someone to cover the class, even if it was just to babysit while having them read or work on other homework.

Sometimes, you'll follow the school rules and still lose. When I was in high school, I followed the school's readmit process to the letter. One of my teacher's failed to record the absence as excused in her book or sign the readmit slip. She confirmed it verbally and told me she would write it down but forgot. I couldn't force her to leave the door (greeting incoming students for the next class) and I would have been in trouble for being late to the next class had I waited. So, I was given a zero on the biggest test of the year, dropping my entire grade for the year an entire grade level. My parents fought it. I could prove I provided the excuse, picked up the readmit slip, had six other teachers sign it, and told them why she didn't. They sided with the teacher.

Yes, obviously, the school should've sent someone up to supervise. They eventually did get around to doing that. The teacher wasn't going to wait around for that though. I can imagine being the administrator in that case, "crap, I have to get someone up to Mr. C's class, I've got a mad parent spouting off in my office, Mrs. S. just called the office to say that someone threw up in her room- gotta get a janitor in there".....so on and so forth and then making it up to Mr. C's honors English class and some of the students decided to leave since there was no teacher.........arrrghhh!

Teachers/Administrators are not always right- but they're not always wrong either.

I used to be a teacher and took my class on a field trip one time. I had a bus full of parents that were swearing like sailors and actually DRINKING!!!! Um, yeah, I wasn't too keen on parents "helping" after that experience.