Menu

Word a Day?

DragonFaerie

We are using Evan Moor's A Word A Day. We access it via Teacher's Filebox, but you can preview it there or on their website for free. All of the words are on the preview.

I have Teacher's Filebox but when I tried to search for Word a Day, all these other random things came up. And on your link, I don't see any preview, just the page to buy the book. Is there a link I'm missing on the site?

Here are a few online "word of the day" resources:

http://wordcentral.com/buzzword/buzzword.php

http://www.superkids.com/aweb/tools/words/middle/index.shtml

http://wordsmith.org/words/today.html

On this site you can sign up for a word a day email with a video or just choose words yourself from the list.

http://www.vocabahead.com/

This one also has a short video but the words are easier:

http://pbskids.org/island/activities/stories.html

I have Teacher's Filebox but when I tried to search for Word a Day, all these other random things came up. And on your link, I don't see any preview, just the page to buy the book. Is there a link I'm missing on the site?

Here's a link that MAY work. However, you may need to specify the Grade level and the type of resource (ie ebook or whatever). It will then show you (with thumbnails) a list of available e-pages, ie all the pages in the book.

My dd6 is in Grade 1 but she was bored with the Grade 1 words ("I want to learn words I don't know already"), so I went through until I found some that would challenge her and now she is enjoying the Grade 3 words instead. These are words she has almost always HEARD before but probably not understood fully and would not normally use herself until we have learned them together. That's my idea of the right level, not just an arbitrary grade number. :-)

I have TeacherFileBox, and what I do is sign in at the TFB site, then switch to the main Evan-Moor site. It will then let you preview AND print from there, so you don't have to use the TFB search box, which is stupid and useless, as you mentioned.

Since you have paid for this already, I hope you find a way to use it that works for you!!! LMK if this works or I will try to figure out something else.

p.s. I wasn't sure if we would use all the "wrap-up" review questions etc at the end of the week, but both kids seem to enjoy them. Dd6 loves filling in the "bubbles" on the multiple-choice questions, and even ds4 gets in on the action, shouting out the words to fill in the sentences.

Here's a link that MAY work. However, you may need to specify the Grade level and the type of resource (ie ebook or whatever). It will then show you (with thumbnails) a list of available e-pages, ie all the pages in the book.

My dd6 is in Grade 1 but she was bored with the Grade 1 words ("I want to learn words I don't know already"), so I went through until I found some that would challenge her and now she is enjoying the Grade 3 words instead. These are words she has almost always HEARD before but probably not understood fully and would not normally use herself until we have learned them together. That's my idea of the right level, not just an arbitrary grade number. :-)

I have TeacherFileBox, and what I do is sign in at the TFB site, then switch to the main Evan-Moor site. It will then let you preview AND print from there, so you don't have to use the TFB search box, which is stupid and useless, as you mentioned.

Since you have paid for this already, I hope you find a way to use it that works for you!!! LMK if this works or I will try to figure out something else.

p.s. I wasn't sure if we would use all the "wrap-up" review questions etc at the end of the week, but both kids seem to enjoy them. Dd6 loves filling in the "bubbles" on the multiple-choice questions, and even ds4 gets in on the action, shouting out the words to fill in the sentences.

It worked! It worked! Thank you!! :D

I'm having a word a day thread going through my blog this year. I have the Merriam Webster 365 New Words a Year calendar, and I'm going to work each day's new word into my blog post somehow. I'm starting today, ab ovo. :)

I thought about using a word a day calendar but I thought the words might be too advanced given that most of them are geared toward adults.

Just a suggestion - I have found that choosing a word from the read aloud each day is way more effective than selecting a word from a list because your child will remember the context of the word. For example, last year we were reading a story about a fox who was able to eat the chickens because he was NOT impetuous. My kids still remember what impetuous means bc of the fox! If I had just pulled that word from a list, they would have never remembered it.

Just a suggestion - I have found that choosing a word from the read aloud each day is way more effective than selecting a word from a list because your child will remember the context of the word. For example, last year we were reading a story about a fox who was able to eat the chickens because he was NOT impetuous. My kids still remember what impetuous means bc of the fox! If I had just pulled that word from a list, they would have never remembered it.

That's a good idea but I'm not sure it will fit in with how I want to do this. And usually when I read to them, I stop and explain words and concepts they might not know. Thanks for the idea, though!

A bonus is exactly what I'm thinking. I don't want to add more work to their already full days. My thought was literally to just introduce a new word each day. I want to have the word, the part of speech, and the definition written on the whiteboard each morning for them to copy into their notebook. Then they'll write a sentence with their new word and that's it. Short and sweet.