Menu

From Writing Tales 1 to Homer A??

2squared

My 9yo is really enjoying WT 1, and her writing is finally taking off! I have her alternating weeks between WWE 3 and WT 1. The WT 1 week is the two weeks of lessons condensed into one week. I would consider WT 2 for her, but I don't think she is mentally ready for the longer rewrites yet. I think both programs are very strong, and she is clearly gaining different skills from them.

As I look forward to 5th grade, I am comfortable continuing on to Writing Tales 2 with her. But looking further out, I think I would like to move to Homer and then on to WWS. This progression seems to put her behind if she is starting WWS in 7th grade. So then I thought that maybe she could skip WT 2 and move into Homer next year. I really want her to get the best of Homer and the best of WWS, but maybe I can't really have my cake and eat it too.

I haven't seen either WT 2, Homer, or WWS in person yet. Maybe I should buy them all to evaluate where I want to go with writing.

I just purchased Homer but haven't used it yet, so take my comments with an extra-large pinch of salt.

I thought the Homer models increase in length faster than the WT2 models do. In fact, there are models at the end of WT1 that are longer than the first several models in WT2.

I'm definitely glad we are doing WT2 before we start Homer A next year. But perhaps those who have done both can chime in.

:lurk5:

I did all of Writing Tales 1 &2 and Homer A &B. For me, I personally think that Writing Tales 2 better prepares you for Homer A than Writing Tales 1. It seems like huge jump to go from Writing Tales 1 to Homer A. Writing Tales 2 teaches the child outlining, switching around the sentences, how paragraphs change, etc. It will better prepare the child for Homer A if they have that teaching. It is not a matter of the length of the pieces, but more a matter of the teaching. The child is being taught writing that will help them with upper level writing. I have never done WWS because it came out when my children were older. I can only tell you about Writing Tales and Homer.

Happy New Year!

Blessings,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony