Menu

How much math before AOPS Prealgebra?

Scuff

DS is just finishing up MM 5A and I'm thinking of bumping him into AOPS Prealgebra. Do you think this is enough math before starting AOPS? I've been comparing Table of Contents and some lessons and they seem to cover the same things. DS really doesn't like MM (says it's boring and moves too slow) I really think he'll enjoy the format of AOPS. I'm just a little nervous of not covering enough of the basics or skip something \. He didn't pass the book placement test, but the only thing he didn't understand was negative number mult & div. Everything else was mistakes and needing to know his facts better. The concepts he has down and we'll be working on the facts and neg. numbers.

DS is just finishing up MM 5A and I'm thinking of bumping him into AOPS Prealgebra. Do you think this is enough math before starting AOPS? I've been comparing Table of Contents and some lessons and they seem to cover the same things. DS really doesn't like MM (says it's boring and moves too slow) I really think he'll enjoy the format of AOPS. I'm just a little nervous of not covering enough of the basics or skip something \. He didn't pass the book placement test, but the only thing he didn't understand was negative number mult & div. Everything else was mistakes and needing to know his facts better. The concepts he has down and we'll be working on the facts and neg. numbers.

I suggest to go for it for the reasons in bold. Or do AoPS Pre-A three days and another program covering negative numbers/ facts etc for two days if it makes you feel better?

I'm just starting to look at AoPS, as we're doing a pretty major overhaul of a lot of things here as I have learned more about my kiddos in the last couple weeks. Given what you say above, I take it you feel that AoPS replaces the need for MM 6? My oldest is just finishing MM 5B, and I was going to move her into MM 6, but I'm tempted to try a different approach with her. MM has been great, but it seems like MM6 will be a lot of what she did in MM 5, but in more depth. Which is great in many ways, I'm just not certain if I want to do that and then pre-algebra, or take a different path.

I think that would work. I had e-mailed AoPS a month or so ago, and Richard Rusczyk e-mailed back himself, suggesting that AoPS Pre-algebra could be taken after completing Singapore 5B, and if AoPS doesn't work (I had asked about young students), go back to Singapore 6. I think MM is pretty similar in scope and sequence in the grade 5/6 books, so I think it would apply to MM also.

How do you feel about AOPS and LoF? Would it make more sense to do LoF Pre-algebra as an introduction to it and then start AOPS, or to do LoF with AOPS? I'm guessing we'll be heading that way within the next year or so (which means she'll be either an old 7 or a young 8) unless she slows down a lot or we take a lot of rabbit trails.

I think that would work. I had e-mailed AoPS a month or so ago, and Richard Rusczyk e-mailed back himself, suggesting that AoPS Pre-algebra could be taken after completing Singapore 5B, and if AoPS doesn't work (I had asked about young students), go back to Singapore 6. I think MM is pretty similar in scope and sequence in the grade 5/6 books, so I think it would apply to MM also.

I agree with boscopup. I think it really depends on the child. My oldest is bored with "basic math" and has already played around with Alcumus with great enjoyment. I do feel he needs to continue some work in basic math, but there's no law that says we can't try something more challenging. :) And if he's overwhelmed, we'll stop.

My 9 yo is doing very well with AoPS preA after having just completed SM 5a (and the entire miquon series) but she is VERY mathy and quick with math, and passed the placement test with no problem.

She is doing beautifully with it, and the class with Richard Rusczyk is paced just right for her -- about 4 hours of work for her each week, plus the class. (but, she is VERY math intuitive. I could see it taking much more time if the material wasn't exceptionally natural to a young child.)

The support materials for AoPS classes are really awesome: alcumus assignments, short videos on various topics, etc. Having these all scheduled for the class is a huge bonus. I couldn't be more pleased with these classes, and will definitely continue them.

AoPS preA is really great, but it is also worth waiting for if your child isn't quite ready.

Thanks for posting, Stephanie. We'll be beginning AoPS Pre-A after going through some of MM5 that he hasn't encountered in SM, so it's nice to know it works for your daughter. My son is mathy as well, particular with abstract concepts, and we haven't hit anything that he needs to be explicitly taught in four years. I think it's time he has a challenge.

Thanks for posting, Stephanie. We'll be beginning AoPS Pre-A after going through some of MM5 that he hasn't encountered in SM, so it's nice to know it works for your daughter. My son is mathy as well, particular with abstract concepts, and we haven't hit anything that he needs to be explicitly taught in four years. I think it's time he has a challenge.

You're very welcome. Your son sounds a lot like my dd. She was just cruising so easily through SM, that I thought it was worth a try to jump to AoPS for PreA, and, in all honesty, so far PreA has been easy for her, but at least she has to THINK nearly every day, which is AWESOME. It's a great fit for her. I hope it works as well for your family!