Menu

SOS science, K12 science, ACE science: any opinions?

Mamabyrd

Has anyone used this. I used Apologia last year but I don't want to spend next year focusing on just one topic.

The thing is that I just don't enjoy teaching science. I'm very "hands-on" with the other subjects but I don't thinks I did a very good job with science last year. I'm looking for a curriculum to take some of the pressure off that I feel when it comes to science. The things I'm considering are:

Switched on Schoolhouse science or the AO Lifepacs with the experiment DVD

K12 science

ACE science

Any opinions on these would be appreciated. My kids will be in 3rd and 5th grades. After homeschooling since kindergarten, they are attending public school this year. Next year they will come back home. THANKS!

If it wasn't for the fact that we hated being a part of a public cyber school and all the red tape that went along with it, we'd still be using K12. I simply cannot afford it for all my dc right now. K12 Science was fun, thorough, gave the dc a little taste of a variety of subjects and included many fun and simple experiments. Only thing...in 6th I think K12 moves to a more topic specific year (I think it's Physical Science in 6th), but you could easily combine your dc in Science 5. My dd did Science 5 and it was way thorough enough for a 6th grader, IMHO. Also check out BJU Science as it is that same type of program...lots of topics all year. I sure wish we could afford K12 on our own b/c there was so much about it that I loved!

We are huge K12 fans here, too. To describe their science as thorough is almost an understatement!! :eek:

I think it is a very rigorous, solid program. I have used it a couple of grade levels behind and still feel it outshines any other program I have looked at. (Well, I only consider secular curriculum, so take that for what it's worth. :))

Have you had access to a demo account yet? With it, you can see the online content of all courses, all grade levels that K12 offers. If you haven't but are interested, let me know and I can set one up for you.

We tried SOS Science and Lifepacs. We really didn't like these. The SOS presentation was great, but the kids had a really difficult time keeping up with the content. They were expected to keep notes because there wasn't any written material provided. My kids just couldn't do it. I even tried printing out lessons and having them highlight important points. But by the 3rd unit, they were so mixed up with so much knowledge that they weren't passing the assessments.

My son is using K12 and we love it. My daughter tried 3rd grade Science but it just didn't suit her. To be honest, I think it was because it was textbooky even though she didn't have a physical textbook. The K12 Science is almost all online. My son finished 5th grade and is now in Earth Science. He has only finished 3 lessons so we can't really judge what it will be like. But just flipping through the materials looks really great. I think this will be a great year for him. My daughter is using a Sonlight Science package. She prefers the living books and answering questions, at least for now. :)

My son finished 5th grade and is now in Earth Science. He has only finished 3 lessons so we can't really judge what it will be like. But just flipping through the materials looks really great.

I would love to hear how the Earth Science compares to the 5th grade once you get a little more into it!