Menu

Is there a SECULAR homeschool magazine that's worth the cost of subscribing?

QuirkyKidAcademy

This should probably morph into a new thread, but for now, what do we have? (I tried to combine some of the previous post ideas. Apologies if I left anything off or misrepresented anything.)

Issues of "The Fine Homeschooler" have:

- some reviews (Sue in St Pete has some really well-formatted & complete ones on here, for example)

- a column on Language Arts (grammar / composition / phonics)

- a Science column (including a science experiment as a side bar)

- A History column (focusing on a topic or correlating/combining resources, for example)

- a math column (how to use a specific math manipulative, teaching the 'how,' mental math, using 'real books,' etc.)

- field trip ideas of the month (museum, prereads, don't miss, best times to go)

- an article about to teach music, art, etc. (could be just "fitting it in" all the way to "teaching music across the curriculum")

There could be a focus on the grammar, logic, & rhetoric stage (pick one per issue or a mix).

A column on how to manage littles while trying to teach bigs.

"Mistakes I made" or "If I could do it all over again" columns (several threads on here could be mined for ideas)

Book lists or ideas (including book reviews for adults (teachers) and kids)

A My Nifty Project layout.

A humor page of single paragraphs of hs screwups or "HS kids say the darnest things."

A column on planning, how to "fit it all in," or scheduling multiple children as they get older.

An series of articles by parents who are into or past "homeschooling high school" including writing transcripts, figuring credits, course descriptions, applying for college, looking for scholarships, prepping for standardized tests, etc.

And, of course, the centerfold is the "Homeschool Room" with pictures & any little storage/usage tips that have been helpful.

I'd definitely like to see a feature story with some substantive content about some aspect of educational research or philosophy or psychology as applied to homeschooling. And I would love to see there be a homeschooling in the news sort of roundup - cases about homeschooling in the news, big stories, places considering changing regulation, etc. including international homeschooling news.

I would definitetly buy/subscribe to the "Fine Homeschooling" magazine. I prefer print magazines too.

What about a section for readers to send in pics of their family enjoying homeschooling?? Have a mini interview with a homeschooling family from around the world??

I'd definitely like to see a feature story with some substantive content about some aspect of educational research or philosophy or psychology as applied to homeschooling.

:iagree: Yes! Some of the articles that have been posted about the importance of review on retention, or peak learning times, have obvious relevance to homeschoolers.

I would definitely prefer print over digital.

Love all the ideas here. I'm going to cancel my TOS sub b/c I HATE reading magazines online. I would gladly pay $30/yr fr a magazine like this.

As I previously said, I'm happy to make it "purty." :D (I'm a Graphic Designer btw, so making things purty is my actual job, lol).

Regarding the grammar logic rhetoric stage thing...I love how parents mag has a spot on the table of contents that tells what age a particular article fits best....the your/our magazine could have something like that to lets parents know what articles would best fit their child's level

This should probably morph into a new thread, but for now, what do we have? (I tried to combine some of the previous post ideas. Apologies if I left anything off or misrepresented anything.)

Issues of "The Fine Homeschooler" have:

- some reviews (Sue in St Pete has some really well-formatted & complete ones on here, for example)

- a column on Language Arts (grammar / composition / phonics)

- a Science column (including a science experiment as a side bar)

- A History column (focusing on a topic or correlating/combining resources, for example)

- a math column (how to use a specific math manipulative, teaching the 'how,' mental math, using 'real books,' etc.)

- field trip ideas of the month (museum, prereads, don't miss, best times to go)

- an article about to teach music, art, etc. (could be just "fitting it in" all the way to "teaching music across the curriculum")

There could be a focus on the grammar, logic, & rhetoric stage (pick one per issue or a mix).

A column on how to manage littles while trying to teach bigs.

"Mistakes I made" or "If I could do it all over again" columns (several threads on here could be mined for ideas)

Book lists or ideas (including book reviews for adults (teachers) and kids)

A My Nifty Project layout.

A humor page of single paragraphs of hs screwups or "HS kids say the darnest things."

A column on planning, how to "fit it all in," or scheduling multiple children as they get older.

An series of articles by parents who are into or past "homeschooling high school" including writing transcripts, figuring credits, course descriptions, applying for college, looking for scholarships, prepping for standardized tests, etc.

And, of course, the centerfold is the "Homeschool Room" with pictures & any little storage/usage tips that have been helpful.

:iagree:

Yeah, and could someone write an insider tips column on how to be a member of online forums...You know, there sure are a lot of wonderful things about online forums, but it's not exactly intuitive. :001_smile: Abbreviation speak, venting etiquette (not that there is such a thing, ha ha), trolls, kilts, etc.

It would be nice to have interviews with some of our favorite curriculum authors.

Anything about the child development would be helpful.