Menu

Kids' classes at stores?

I saw an ad for a new class at Michael's next week. I also know that Lowe's and Home Depot have classes. Now that my dd is 5 and a rising Ker, all of my kids are old enough to go to these classes and I'd like to include them in our activities.

Which are your favorites? Are there others out there besides Michael's, Lowe's and HD?

Thanks!

The classes at our local Michael's are dreadful, but I've seen the instructions that are *sent* to the stores (for the weekly craft classes and the camps, etc), and they're actually quite good. I was rather miffed when I realized the difference in what they were supposed to be doing and what our local store was actually doing. (They were scrimping on materials, cutting corners, and generally trying to get away with less than the minimum.)

Anyway, your local store *might* have some great stuff going on... But maybe see if you can hang out one day as a "class" is getting out -- you'll get an idea of the kids' moods as they leave, the instructor's demeanor, and what the kids are bringing home with them...

Another place to check out is Apple Stores. They have free three-hour "camps" for kids during the summer. I'd be shocked if anyone can find a class that still has space in it for this year, but it's worth keeping in mind for next year, if you're an Apple household.

The kids' crafts at our Michael's in NC were also awful.

One time they had kids painting wooden door hangers. The lady had paint squirted into cups. I realized *far too late* that she was using FABRIC PAINT! GAAAH!!!! That was the last time we did crafts there. :tongue_smilie:

We did a class at Home Depot. It was terrible, but it was free. So you get what you pay for. There was no actual teacher. Just a couple teenage employees who handed out the kits without a clue as to what to do with them. If mom and/or dad couldn't figure out how to follow the bad instructions to build the little tool caddies, the the kids were out of luck. I wouldn't do it again. It's so much easier to do crafts at home.

My daughter like the Home Depot class and we've taken some a Michaels that were so-so. Joanne Fabric also has classes that are fun and we've enjoyed those. Select Publix supermarkets (the ones with Aprons Cooking Schools) offer children's cooking classes and summer camps.