Menu

2:14 am........kids leave for camp in 4 hours 16 minutes......but I'm not panicking..

really, I'm not.

Okay,maybe I am.....just a little

Yes they are 13 years old.........but they've never been farther than a 30 minute drive or longer than a day away from home

Please tell me everything is going to be okay......

I'm mean really.......people send their kids to camp every year......younger children even....so why am I starting to freak out?

I'm hiding it pretty good.......although I no longer see an issue with drinking at 7am which will be about the time that the charter bus drives away with my babies.

Seriously.......will it get easier as the week goes on or is this just the beginning?

I just sent my oldest dd (also 13) to camp for a week last week. I missed her terribly the first several days. I would even tear up if I thought about her too much. It did get easier. I sent her a letter every day. She forgot her stamps so it was Thursday before I heard back from her. By then it wasn't so hard anyway. Once I knew she was ok, it was much easier.

:grouphug:

My oldest has been going to camp since he was seven, my 12 y.o. went for the first time last year, and this year my 9 y.o. will join her older sis at camp.

I just concentrate on how much fun I know they are having, and how blessed I am to be able to give them the camp experience.

It helps that the camp owners are personal friends and the camp counselors are college kids I've known since they were pre-teens themselves :D

Send them letters, plan a special homecoming so they can tell you all about their adventures, and enjoy the week!

Okay..........they're gone

It wasn't too bad. Out of their group of friends (8 kids) we were the only parents that stayed until the bus left.

We got to hang out with the kids and they all wanted hugs as they got on the bus since their folks weren't there (2 siblings said there dad didn't even get up this morning to say good bye.........what is wrong with people?). We took pictures of everyone with each of their cameras and saw them all drive away waving wildly......it actually made me really happy to see how excited they all were and made me remember that they are going to have a fantastic time.

Only a couple of tears from mom, but I waited until they were gone......I'm still a little choked up when I think about it.......but I know it will get better.

I'm goin to church and then takin older brother to the movies......I figure that is a good distraction

DS (11) has been to camp three years.

DD (10) has been twice.

Triplets (8) went one year.

I shed fear tears when they were settled, but knew how much fun they'd have. Ironically, I cried hysterically when I picked them up from camp. We watched a video of their week, the many activities, relationships, etc that had transpired since I lost saw them. I cried because it was spectacular and knew it was a growth period for them. It would become a desirable camp annually. (We can't justify the cost this year, which breaks my heart.)

I hope you enjoy your time while DS is away, and find comfort knowing that children thrive in their week at camp.