Menu

Deeply bummed (but in perspective)

All I wanted for Christmas was a scanner so I could scan old family photos and digitize them.

It was under the tree, but I can't get it to work. I can't get my laptop to recognize the scanner, and I have tried installing and reinstalling, turning it on and off .... and I honestly I don't know anything else to try. I am so frustrated and defeated after several hours of trying, my brain hurts, I feel old and worthless and inadequate to the modern world. Plus that was really the only thing I wanted for Christmas:(

I the bright side, I have three beautiful children who are relatively happy with their presents, so I can't complain too much!

Merry Christmas everyone.

I'm right there with you. I got money from my mom and ordered a Kindle Fire. It's not available over here in the UK, so I had to have it shipped to a friend's daughter who lives in the States and was coming to visit her parents. We were supposed to go to London for an appointment at the embassy this past week and stay with our friends and pick up the Kindle. The trip got cancelled so my Kindle is now sitting at their house until our next trip up there, and I have no idea when that will be. Dh did get me a blender, so I'm not completely present-less. And it is a nice blender. But it's not really a lot of fun.

But, like you, I have healthy kids who are all fairly content with their gifts, so I'm trying to count my blessings.

:grouphug: I hope you can get the scanner working soon.

Oh no! Sorry.

I have so many pictures to scan! I haven't gotten around to it, but really need to. Maybe I will work on that today a bit.

I lent out my scanner to a gal who does scrapbooking and she kept it for about 5 months (she said she would keep it for 2 weeks.)

Dawn

First, are you sure you installed properly? Some scanners require you to install drivers before you connect the scanner; others require you connect the scanner before installing drivers.

Second, do you have another USB cable you can try? USB cables supplied with hardware are often cheap, and I've seen quite a few defective ones. You can temporarily substitute any USB cable whose ends fit the receptacles.

Third, do you have a different computer that you can try connecting the scanner to?

I already packed the whole things up an drove over it with my car in abject misery and frustration.

Just kidding. I have it packed up to return, but maybe tomorrow when DH is out of the house and I am drinking tea by the fire, I will be in a patient, problem soling frame of mind and will check out these options!

Thanks!

You might want to look into Scan Cafe. I had about 750 slides I wanted to have scanned, and to have them done locally was almost $1 per slide. We have a decent scanner, so I tried to do it myself, but quickly realized that even doing 3 at a time it was going to take f o r e v e r.

Asta recommended Scan Cafe, and I ended up using their services. It cost about $150 for all 750 slides and the quality was great. I highly recommend them. I'm so glad I didn't do it myself. I know I would never have finished it.