Menu

Failing Algebra II Question- long

My 10th grader used TT for algebra I last year at a tutorial and made an A-. She didn't enjoy it, it wasn't easy for her, but she worked hard.

She's a good student but more artsy and writing oriented. In fact she's working on a novel- the whole of which she first meticulously outlined, and story arced, etc, etc. The novel is for fun.

This year I decided to let her do TT Algebra II on her own at home partially to save money:tongue_smilie: It's been a disaster. We ended up getting a weekly tutor and backing up a few chapters about a month and a half ago, after realizing that she was making increasingly awful grades on her chapter tests.

Before Christmas break she failed the last test. It was only chapter 6.

I have never taught h.s. math to any of my children. Ds #1 taught himself with MUS. Dd #1 did TT at a tutorial. I'm not a natural math person.

I have considered-

1. Staring over with TT Algebra II and working with her through the book and keeping the tutor.

2.Starting over with TT geometry, keeping the tutor. Saving Algebra II for next year.

3. Going back to Algebra I with another program like Saxon and doing it with her from day one and keeping the tutor.

Any advice?

No matter which program you go with, I'd suggest having a tutor for her. How long had the tutor been working with her before she took her last test? If it was a while, I'd consider whether this tutor has brought her back far enough, or whether the teaching style is one that works well for your daughter.

Since she did well with TT in Algebra I last year, I'd be inclined to go with what you already have. But first, I'd test her on the Algebra 1 she's already done and see if she's still testing in the A range.

Another thought is to drop the algebra 2 this year and do geometry instead. It may be something she'll enjoy more and then approach algebra 2 in the fall with a fresh start, and either a tutor or maybe another class like she took in 9th.

Edited by Teachin'Mine

She's had the tutor about a month and a half. Dd says the tutor is really helping...

She also admitted that by the end of Algebra I there were quite a few things she didn't really understand- but she figured out what she was supposed to do and always did well on the tests anyways.

The curse of being a good test taker....

So I think the math is now requiring her to use "understanding" instead of rote memorization of steps, and she's lost.

ARRGHHH.

I'd give her brain a little more time to develop and switch to Geometry. TT is good with review, so it will review Alg 1 for the first 3 or 4 chapters when you restart it anyway.

The WORST thing to do is keep going without understanding... and the BEST thing [academically] about homeschooling is being able to go at the student's pace.

Keep the tutor.

Just my two cents...

I vote starting over with TT Algebra 2 and a tutor. She probably started without a good foundation and neither of you realized how little foundation was there. If she starts at ch. 1 again, with the tutor she can probably cover the ground just fine.

I agree with PP to get a tutor whatever math you are doing since she isn't a natural at math and you aren't that comfortable teaching it.

I agree with a tutor.

If I was tutoring her, I'd back up even farther. I'd take an algebra book and hit the end of chapter reviews. If I was convinced she knew the material, I'd move on. If she doesn't understand the fundamentals, then it does no one any good to plow ahead. I find in tutoring kids, if you can get them solid on the basics everything falls into place much better.

She's had the tutor about a month and a half. Dd says the tutor is really helping...

She also admitted that by the end of Algebra I there were quite a few things she didn't really understand- but she figured out what she was supposed to do and always did well on the tests anyways.

In that case, I' d back up way into algebra 1 and do a quick run through to make sure her conceptual understanding is solid and she is proficient in actual problem solving - not in the short term, but as long term skills that can be recalled after many months. Only then would I move into algebra 2.

Keep the tutor.